Help with breeds (picking up sunday)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MEMama3, Feb 26, 2014.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I found someone local selling ducks. She had two pictures in the ad. I want to choose a trio (1m,2f) out, but I don't know ducks well enough to know which one is which breed. Can you help me identify some of the breeds from the pictures? I'd love all the help I can get.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm drawn to the fawn and white ones, but not knowing the breed,I don't know if they're right for me.

2. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    Okay, I'll try my best here. So first image, from left to right by head position:
    1)A Swedish, probably a drake,
    2) (white tall) a goose, not a duck,
    3) rouen drake,
    4) fawn and white Indian runner,
    5) a buff, a hen
    6) a buff drake,
    7) Swedish hen,
    8) the back of probably a rouen hen

second image, left to right by butt position:

1) Swedish hen
    2) rouen hen
    3) fawn and white Indian runner
    4) Swedish drake
    5) a goose
    6) rouen drake
    7) Swedish blue hen I think, the very light grey one
    8) a khaki campbell
    (there are the two buff ducks ahead of the goose there I think.

I think this woman has very nice pairs of many breeds, with a spare Indian runner, a spare khaki Campbell, and the goose probably as a watchdog for the flock. I may not be right though, but this is my best effort given the photos. Which aren't bad of course. I hope this helps!

From personal experience, if I were you and going to grab three for first time ducks, I would grab the pair of rouens and probably the blue Swedish hen just because she's super pretty and I love rouens. I started with rouens and I'm glad I did.

But if this were me today and I had my choice of the group, I'd take the whole thing, LOL.

3. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Looks like there is a goose, a fawn and white runner, a female buff, a black swedish, a female khaki campbell, a male rouen, a female (maybe two) rouen, possibly a female welsh harlequin and a blue swedish. It is hard to tell by the pictures but that is what they look like to me. If you are interested in the runner duck I would do some research on runner ducks or ask someone on BYC. There is actually a runner duck thread. I know Amiga has a bunch of runners and Amiga knows a lot about them, you may want to PM her. I hope this helped! Good luck ;)

4. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Thank you both! And yes, lol, I was able to identify the goose. How did I know that would be mentioned lol.

5. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    I know a lot of people that think that ducks and geese are the same thing. I hope I didn't offend you with that. Sorry if I did.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    X2

7. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    No offense taken. I thought it was funny.

1 person likes this.
  8. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Whew! Please keep us posted on what you decide to do :)

9. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Having a breed jumping off point, I am leaning towards the Swedish and the buffs for the pair and the khaki hands down if it's a female. Between swedish and buffs, which do you all prefer. I know you said rouens, but they just aren't the "look" I'm going for.

10. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    I have never had swedish ducks (although I want to get a couple blue swedish drakes in the spring), but my buff are so friendly! Boths breeds are just gorgeous, but it really depends on what purpose you want your ducks to serve. Do you want them as pets, eggs, etc? I have an all drake flock so I can't help you if you want to know info about egg laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by