Help with breeds please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Hi we have hatched some chicks out, the breeder gave us some barnevelder, welsummer, RIR, Australorp, and 1 egg that hatched was from our Australorp hen and a silver spangled hamburg which we now think we identified, we can identify the RIR, but the welsummers and barnevelder, I have no idea which is which, also do you think we have picked the mix breed one okay, thank you so much for helping
    ?
    [​IMG]
    ? mix
    [​IMG]
    ?
    [​IMG]
    ?
    [​IMG]
    ?
    [​IMG]
    ? back view of some of the chicks
    [​IMG]
    ? back view of one of the lighter ones
    [​IMG]
    All the babies together
    [​IMG]
    Just a cute one of the ? mix Australorp/hamburg and one of the lighter chicks
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    In the picture of the backsides of the three chicks, the one in the middle I think is your welsummer pullet. [​IMG]

3. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Thank you, we are hoping one is a pullet, can you tell this from the colouring of it and are the other 2 welsummers as well, but boys? Thank you so very much for your help, it's very exciting watching them grow:jumpy

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Coloring & eyeliner. I guess it is early and probably hard to tell breeds and especially genders at this age. I guess I only saw one that looked like a Welsummer. Girls GENERALLY have a distinct V on the top of the head and 'eyeliner' around their eyes. This does not always hold true.. here is a picture of my welsummer cockerels at day old after they hatched. Top is an EE and two of the other chicks are cockerels. You can see how the tops of their heads don't have a 'definite' V. HTH!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by