Help with bringing injured chicken back into flock

jmweber

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 5, 2013
I have a small backyard flock of 5 hens. A couple weeks ago, we noticed that one of the younger birds, a Rhode Island Red was getting picked on by one of the older birds. We let it go at first figuring they would work it out, but a couple days later i went in and noticed that the red's wing was injured, the feathers had been stripped and there was a bleeding wound. I removed her from the others and kept her in a large brooder till she recovered. she is fine now, i used pine tar to cover the wound once it was mostly healed and tried to reintroduce her. The other chickens tried a peck or two but quickly lost interest due to the tar, but the red seems to have it out for the hen that did it to her. after just a minute or two, she ran after and jumped the older hen, pulling a feather off her head. I seperated the and she did it again a few seconds later. is this something I should let happen and just make sure that none of them get injured, or is there some other tips for bringing her back in?

I would put the red within visual contact for a few days (or more) - separated by fence or poultry wire.

Then try to put them back together.

They should be able to work it out but maybe some time where they can see each other but not not get into a fight would help.

These are all females right. That sounds more like rooster behaviour but I have heard that a hen will take the rooster's job when no rooster is present - at least as far as being the alpha.

Back
Top Bottom