Help with Brinsea Octogon 20 eco

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moonkit, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Hello, everyone.. hoping I can get a bit of help here.. A few weeks ago, I bought a Brinsea Octogon 20 incubator, wanting to take a shot at hatching my own eggs. However, before I commit living embryos to it, I wanted to do some "dry runs" first with setting it up and maintaining the correct stable temp. So first, I simply turned it on and let it run for 2 days, making no changes. It settled on a temp of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not going to worry about humidity right now. I found the temperature adjuster in the place where the power cord connects.. so I used a flat screwdriver to ever so slightly adjust it in the direction that the diagram showed.. and it dropped to 97.4 after a day of sitting. Agh.. so I twitched it back in what I thought was even less that the direction I'd sent it before.. 100.4 F. Dammit.. so after weeks of twitching it (it even maintained the 100.4 temp when the A/C was broken and the house was at 85-90.. wow!).. I'm at my wits end. It seems to be permanently at 100.4.. would this be ok for incubating? Or can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong here.

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I would go ahead and try some unshipped, not expensive eggs and see how it goes. Make sure you try at least one other thermometer and get a temperature reading as well. With my Brinsea I barely have to turn it to get a temeperature change.

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Well.. I'm using both the installed thermometer (the mercury one) and a digital one that I bought for my hermit crabs before upgrading it. I know it reads accurately and both thermometers read the same. I'm just worried about 100.4 being to high for an incubating temp.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I don't think that would be to high. If you haven't placed the eggs yet, just barely twitch it and see if that does anything. I had my Eco at 99 F when I first turned it on. They are suppose to be reset at 99.5 F and if you are at 100.4 F I dont think that would screw anything up, they may just hatch a little sooner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by