1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Broken wing please? How to splint?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outdoorschik, Oct 16, 2009.

1. outdoorschik

outdoorschik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Can anyone tell me how to splint my hen's wing? The chickens escaped their pen yesterday and she was somehow pinned under a ladder when I got home by her wing. Seemed to be in shock... I don't know how long she was out there. This morning her wing was hanging down to the groundso I quickly tried to bind it up to her side and seperated her before I went to work. I know I did it wrong though ... are there any chicken wing splinting experts/pictures/resources out there? She is a nearly 4 month old Rhode Island White pullet (I think, but may be a rooster). I hope someone can help ... this is my first emergency with chickens and I'm quite stressed! Is 24 hours later too late to splint?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. outdoorschik

Jun 21, 2009
  3. outdoorschik

Jun 21, 2009
    Well, I got home and I've had her seperate all day, but she managed to get out of this morning's splint. I rewrapped following the method I found online, but tighter than earlier, taped it up and secured it to her body with wrap and tape. My boyfriend thinks I'm certifiably nuts, but I want to give her a chance to heal. Any other suggestions/thoughts? Will she be warm enough alone in the coop without the others to cuddle up to? i'll have her in a dog crate in the coop, but it's very cold up here(low 20's) so the rest cluster together.
    Someone else MUST have dealt with a broken wing before... what did you do? Could it heal if I just let it hang? I can't feel a break for sure, but I think it is broken very close to the body, not sure what bone that is...

4. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure her wing won't heal correctly if you let it hang. You're doing the right thing to keep it taped to her body. I see that you're new, but I don't know how new. Are you familiar with the member known as threehorses? She is extremely knowledgeable in all respects of chickendom, but particularly in the areas of emergency care, health, and the treatment diseases. You might try sending her a PM and ask her for her advice. There are several other members that are very good also. You could read through some of the sticky threads in the medical area and see who is giving good guidance and PM them. I'm sure they will be glad to help.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could help you, but not sure what to tell you.

That document has an illustration for how to wrap a wing, guess I'd try that. I agree letting it hang would not be good.

I suggest using the wrap that sticks only to itself, coaches wrap is it called now? We used to call it vet-wrap because at one time it was used mostly to wrap horses legs etc because it doesn't stick to fur/hair etc. very handy stuff. You can get it in wal-mart and drug stores... it's less expensive for people than if you buy it in a pet store.

6. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Wow, I didn't know that - about the coaches wrap. Great piece of info. I thought it was still vet wrap and had to be bought at PBS or TSC. Thanks!

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
  8. outdoorschik

Jun 21, 2009
    Ohh... I need that book!
    Thanks for the vet wrap tip ... that is good stuff, I use it for the sled dogs. I saw it at Walmart.
    I can't bring her inside ... the boyfriend would kick me out, but I can give her a heated snuggledisc or a plug-in heated plastic dogbed crate insert (he once had a nightmare that I brought all the chickens inside and they were roosting on the stove ...).
    I'm so paranoid I taped it up wrong, but according to the last link it seems she'll be ok even if it heals badly, which is a relief. I don't care if she looks funny, I just didn't want long term pain. I did put in two sleeping chickens with her to keep her warm tonight after they had gone to roost ... I'll let them out tomorrow morning early before they can bother her too much, just didn't want her to freeze.

9. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:You're so smart![​IMG] What a brilliant idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by