Help with Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a 1 year old Brahma hen that went broody a few days ago. She has been sitting on non-fertile eggs. So tonight we snuck outside with a bunch of fertile eggs. We picked her up and took the non-fertile eggs out and replaced with fertile eggs. We put her back on the eggs and she promptly got off and walked around the coop. She peeked her head back at the eggs a few times, but then went and got on a roost!! Any chance she will get back on them tomorrow morning? I took eggs away from her the other day and she found some more the next day. So I'm hoping she'll accept these tomorrow. Thoughts???

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Slim chance, but maybe???? When I swap eggs under my hens, I carefully and slowly do it one at a time and at night. Don`t pick the hen up. The idea is to stress her as little as possible.........Pop

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Oh no!! The breeder I got the eggs from said it was fine to pick her up and do it. I really hope she goes back to them!

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If she's truly broody, she'll go back to the eggs. It's nature calling her to do what she's supposed to do.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I've never had trouble picking my hen up and moving her. She'd always get back on in an hour or so, but they are all different. If your girl stopped being broody just from being picked up, I suspect she wasn't very broody to begin with. I hope she goes back to your eggs for you.

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Ok that makes me feel better. I wonder if she will go back in the dark though.... or wait until morning. The eggs are new so if she went to them in the morning that would be fine.

7. Lollipop

Well, there ya go. Everybody has had different experiences. Be sure to let us know what she does..........Pop

8. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I am SO happy to report that she is back on the eggs! She got back on in the dark! I was joking earlier that she was prejudice . . . . she was sitting on brown eggs, but I replaced them with blue eggs! Apparently she's ok with them now! Thanks for easing my anxiety!

9. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    What if I want to move a broody hen to another coop, so the other hens won't pose a threat to the eggs and chicks? Will that stop her?

10. Lollipop

Quote:Best thing to do is prep the nest and move the eggs before the hen. The single most important thing is to do it at night, in the dark, so as to stress her as little as possible. Be as gentle as you can and after she is moved, leave her alone. Sometimes it doesn`t work, but this is the least stressfull on the situation...........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by