Help with broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williamsl77, Feb 29, 2012.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I have a hen that I think has been sitting on eggs since around Feb 7th. That would make today Day 22. I candled her eggs this morning and all five of what I candled were definitely still alive, though no pips internal or external. My hen is a 7 month old that disappeared on me and by the time I found her, she was sitting on her already developing eggs. Her eggs are typical pullet sized. I'm a little worried that they won't be able to hatch because they are so small and because my well-nourished hens lay thick-shelled eggs.

This morning I noticed that my hen seemed a little more restless than she has up to this point. Turning her eggs a lot and looking at them. Is this normal? Does she know her eggs are getting close to hatching? I'm ok to let her sit on the eggs as long as she needs. Just wondering what the chances are that these eggs WON'T hatch. She's sitting on about a dozen and all five that I pulled out and candled had obvious movement.

Anyway... what do you think? This is the first time I've ever had a broody hen. Anyone have such a young chicken successfully hatch?

2. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    The dad is a bantam cochin, FYI.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The chicks are probably cheeping and moving in the eggs if they are at 21 days. There is absolutely no reason why the eggs should not hatch. Leave her alone - mother hens know what to do -it's instinctive.

4. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Ok, good. That's exactly what I want to hear. I so want her to hatch her babies and raise them. She is a super sweet little hen. My favorite from the beginning. I'm so excited for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by