Help with broody hens!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 30, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    I am new to broody hens so I was wondering how it all worked? I need as much information as I can get!!! Please help!! Thanks!!

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Ok this is the average broody hen
    Well a hen goes broody after her body feels it has laid a clutch of eggs (usually about 10). She decides to sit on them until they hatch (this depends on what type of eggs they are). She will get off to eat, drink and crap and than get back on. She may be very protective of the eggs. They hatch she teaches them how to eat and drink and raises them until she fells they are fully grown.
    I missed a lot but I'm sure other peps will fill in.

3. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Well what if I want to put some other eggs under her? How do I go about doing that?

4. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Anyone!?

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Broodiness is hormonal, you can't induce it.
    Once the hen is a confirmed setter, she doesn't know what kind of eggs are under her. Some will set on golfballs. You can remove whatever she is setting on and put eggs of your choice under her. To be certain, do it after dark when she is asleep. Please mark them in case someone else wanders into the nest to lay while she is out pooping.
    It's not advisable to let a hen set more than 4 weeks at a time. It takes a lot out of them and they lose weight. I've had luck grafting newly hatched chicks onto a setting hen or putting eggs with only a few days to go under a setter. They raise the chicks and return to lay in much better health than after a 3 week hatch.

6. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    It is really helpful to ask a more specific question. There is a lot to cover just under the category of broody hens.

7. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Sorry!! It's just that I don't really have any questions!! I just don't know anything about it!! Haha

8. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Thanks for all the help!! But if there is anything else I need to know, just tell me!! I need all the help I can get!! [​IMG]

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they sit in the same nest 2 full days I figure they're there for the long haul. I pull the eggs under them if not fertile and insert the fertile ones and it works like magic. And yes definitely mark the eggs you want to hatch so you can pull any volunteers.
    Also mark your calendar with the date you put them under her.
    It's best to quarantine them by fencing off that nest box or fix up a good size cage and nest box since the other hens may attack the chicks when they start running around. Also the nest box needs to be quite low so it's easier for her to lead them in and out. And you'll want to be able to provide starter feed and water in an appropriately sized container for the chicks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Thanks so much this is going to help alot!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by