1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with broody white leghorn bantam

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenzooo, May 15, 2016.

1. chickenzooo

chickenzooo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Grand Bay, AL
    My white leghorn bantam is broody & shes been sitting on 10 eggs. I candled them today and they are all alive. Should I let her sit on all 10 or should I take a few away? My incubator was left when we moved so I camt incubate them. People say bantams can't hatch out more that a couple chicks at a time... Should they do okay if I leave them all?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Who says? I've had bantams hatch several with no issues... my last 2 hatched 16 between them... if she is covering them all and they're all developing then leave them...

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2. Generally you don't give a bantam as much as a standard cause they can't cover them all, but if she's covering them and they are developing, she can hatch them. If there's some not developing or behind because she's not completely covering then yes, there's too many.

4. chickenzooo

chickenzooo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Grand Bay, AL
    Someone told me that bantams can only set about 4 and have any hatch... but I didn't see why because they aren't large eggs... Thanks for helping :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by