1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help with broody youn hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenns anipals, Mar 19, 2017.

1. jenns anipals

jenns anipals In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2016
    San deigo
    Frist off sry ( not sure where to postthis) and for my spelling erros my frizzlevhas to be broody) stoped laying(tops 8 months old) the guy at the feed store sold my hubby a three month old road islands red and i got two chick and tryed putting the broody frizzlen hen with them but she wanted nothing to do with with them.... they are buff orpington they are three days do i continue to ttkae care of them or force the frizzle (shes 6 to 7 months old??? ( frizzle dose nothing but lay on eggs thats why i ask ) thoe did eventually plan on learing how to breed chicks help please
    Also how do i get them to not be mean to the rode island red as of now shes kept seperate the others are being super man to her when trying to put her with the flock[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1st pic young broody hen( El Pollo negro)
    Second rohde island red (ms.Meeseeks)(new hen all are being mean too[​IMG]
    Third pic new babby buffs[​IMG]
    Fourth pic rest of the flock roo)Mr.stella luna brid) in all his glory

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is the broody sitting on fertile eggs?
    Make sure you mark the eggs so you can remove any added by other hens.
    Adding birds to an existing flock is very difficult because they see the new bird as a threat to the flock that will steal their food/water and possibly bring disease.
    It's best (after quarantine) to bring in like numbers and like sizes.
    You can remove some of the meanest birds temporarily till the new bird makes friends with the others and then return the bullies one by one over a period of days.

3. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You have a frizzle that you think may be broody. You have a RIR hen who is new and is being picked on. You are trying to get the frizzle to brood the new chicks. Those three issues could be three different threads.

But whatever, let's take them one at a time.

How long has your frizzle been focused on sitting on eggs? Has she been on the nest for three weeks yet? Because that is how long it takes for eggs to hatch and a broody won't be interested in raising chicks no matter where they came from until after that length of time. It does no good to try to get a broody to accept chicks if she's only just started to sit on eggs.

You will need to brood the chicks yourself with a heat source to replace that of a broody hen's warm body. No other way around it.

As for the new hen, it takes up to three weeks for a flock to accept a strange new adult hen. It's best to give her time in a safe pen where she can observe her new flock without being punished by the others. Then let her out with them for short periods, increasing in length over the next week or so. She will soon learn who everyone is and whether she needs to run from them or ignore them. She will assume her place in the pecking order soon enough. It may be rough on her at first, but she will adapt and so will the flock

1 person likes this.
  4. jenns anipals

Nov 9, 2016
    San deigo

Thanks for the reply i have heat source on the chicks i also have ms meseeks the new hen shes in her own space they can all se each other i have a few other hens and a roo so this is just my first broody and firt new hen to flock situation so thanks very much for the info i sure do love my flock

5. jenns anipals

Nov 9, 2016
    San deigo
    thanks for the reply i was and am taking eggs daily daily chicks have heat lamp with food and water i made sure they know where its at i check on them all the time lol and and new hen is in own enclosure but they can all see each other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by