Help with buff Orpingtons - sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkieStepHen, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SilkieStepHen

SilkieStepHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2013
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Hi all!
    This is probably for the more experienced breeders of Orpingtons out there, but here it goes anyway :)

I have some 3 week olds, I know that sexing is better on older chicks, but I'll feel bad if my girls have boy names and boys have girl names, LOL!

[​IMG]
    both are from the same clutch, both born on 7/17
    [​IMG]
    baby on the right has a LOT of feathers on the back, bigger tail "poof?" and longer wings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any ideas?
    Thank you!

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Take pictures of their saddle and hackle feathers and of his/hers comb get it?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Way to young to tell gender on yet.

4. SilkieStepHen

Jun 14, 2013
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    I figured it was still to early to tell yet. I'm just hoping that my "Momma's boy" is truly a boy, LOL! "He" is the one on the right, the bigger of the 3 Orps that hatched. The 2nd and 3rd are identical as far as feathering... I am REALLY hoping for 1 roo and 2 hens... not vice versa ;)

5. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    I think you should name them Cutie, Patootie, and Fuzzybutt. Those are unisex, and entirely appropriate. [​IMG]

6. SilkieStepHen

Jun 14, 2013
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Hahahahaha!!! I already call the bigger one "FuzzyButt" because of the poof of tail feathers that popped up over night ;)

I'm watching them play with the rest of the chicks (5 week old Silkie, 3 wk old Silkie and a pair of 3 wk old D'uccles) and I notice the smaller Orps will challenge everyone, while FuzzyButt sits it out. Knowing my luck ... 6 roos, 1 hen. Good thing I live out in the country :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by