Help with building a coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shreenith, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Shreenith

Shreenith Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    Sigh. I'm sure that everyone who gets chickens panics about building their coop, and I've been looking on here for a week trying to find plans that look simple enough for me to follow--but I can't find any!

I was so excited. I had a FREE coop all lined up, and the man would even deliver it. But I realized that I'd have no way together it into the backyard (it wont fit through the doors and our fence door is too small, too). So I'm going to have to tell the man "no" and go back to square one.

So--help me! Please! Assume I know-nothing about carpentry. How do I build my chickens a home?!

2. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Would disassembling part of the fence be easier?

3. Shreenith

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    Probably. But one of the girls I live with (whose parents are our landlords) said no. . .

4. ScottM

Too bad, that would have been an easy fix.

Im just starting out myself too but the best link I've found was this one, http://www.examiner.com/urban-chick...kens-101-10-important-features-a-chicken-coop

So long as it has those ten things youre set. Mind u, insulation may make that 11 things.

People will be more helpful if you give more info. For example, does it get cold where u r? It gets down to -30F at times in the winter where I am. How about u?

What kind of predators can u expect?

How many birds do you want? Common suggestion is 4sqft per bird in the coop and ten in the run.

Budget?

5. Shreenith

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    Okay. I'm in Southern California--Inland Empire--so it gets hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter. I want three to five chickens. I want to spend the least amount of money possible. I'm a student and I really can't afford much. We have skunks and prowling neighborhood cats. Someone said we had coyotes around, but I've never seem 'em.

I know nothing about building. Seriously. I took one semester of shop class, and that was in high school. I basically sang songs and held up boards while the guys drilled. I can paint. Whoopee.

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH

Yes answering those questions will help.also what breed. It can be much easier to start than many of us make it.

7. Shreenith

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    I was thinking of Ameraucanas--or their knock-off Easter Egger cousins. But I really just want some chickens that will be calm and friendy and lay a lot of eggs. Sigh.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    For just a few hens,you might be able to find a used plastic type kids playhouse to convert to a coop. Cats shouldn't bother the chickens once they are full size.

9. ScottM

I'd build a pallet coop. Here's one

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/332046/pallets

Being in California u prob wouldn't have to cover all the walls, just the ones that face the breeze. I'd agree with mimddh, some people overdo it. They are just chickens.

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You can use a doghouse if you plan to have about four chickens. All you would need to do is put a door on it, add ventilation holes, and add a nesting box. Try to get some friends to help you if you don't think you can do it yourself.

Will the chickens use the back yard as their run during the day?

If you want friendly hens that are good egg layers, then Australorps are probably the best choice. They will lay five eggs a week on average throughout a year.

I suggest getting pullets, not chicks, so you can put them right into the coop and won't have to worry about them as much. Provide them food, water, and bedding like pine shavings and they will give you lots of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by