Help with building an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggie2013, Dec 22, 2016.

1. aggie2013

aggie2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    So today I acquired a wine cooler. Its the perfect size for an incubator. However, I have almost zero understanding on what I need to do to build one. What kinds of parts do I need for heat/humidity/turning/ etc?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Is it large enough for an auto turner? If so purchase one at local feed or Tractor Supply and pop it in. You can purchase preset heating element with fan, all in one unit. If the space is too large they will burn out so purchasing the appropriate size is required.
    Basic table top size: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html
    And for cabinet size: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incukit-xl.html

Any hygrometer will do as long as it"s small enough to put in incubator. Accurite hygrometers at Walmart are popular and inexpensive. Perform a salt test (type "salt test" in search engine for BYC or google salt test for humidor). Once calibrated the hygrometer is good to go, you add water via containers to control RH. The larger the surface area of water container the higher the humidity. Electronic hygrometers will vary readings when battery is getting old, I recalibrate at the start of each hatching season and after any battery change.

Forgot to mention that you'll need air holes in the cooler. Chicks need air exchange, they will be breathing in the shells once internally piped.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. aggie2013

aggie2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you so much! That takes a lot of the guesswork out for me. It is plenty large for a few egg turners so that'll make my life easier.

My boyfriend is a bit against building it because he doesnt want to ruin this great find. I got the cooler for free from a lady who was just going to dump it. There is one for sale for 400 but Im against spending that kind of money if we dont have to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by