Help with building incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by watersoflethe, May 24, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    So giving up on trying to get my chickens to go broody and instead with all the help here trying to build my own incubator. i'm trying to build one of those styrofoam incubators but am confused to where exactly i'm supposed to place the vent holes. Can anyone help? Please? Thank you.

2. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    There is a ton of info in the learning center here's one right at the top
    vent holes

3. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    thanks. i already read through all the learning center on the incubators. i was just confused since people put it differently. i was just wondering if there was a certain place it needed to be placed on. like near the light or the fan or more towards the bottom than up or something like that that people have learned from trial and error.

thanks for the reply though. [​IMG]

4. grundail01

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    Well you will want some near the bottom and near the top for circulation. i didn't put any above my light but i did put some below since hot air rises it pulls in fresh air.

5. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    thank you very much.

also is it better for your thermostat to be closer to your light or closer to where your chicks are?

6. grundail01

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    I've noticed a stabler temp when it's near the heat source rather than farther away

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I put my thermostat about an inch away from the light bulb. I have one 1/2 vent hole below the light, near the bottom of the cooler, and another 1/2 inch hole near the top of the cooler on the opposite end. If it's a small cooler and you're using a light bulb for heat, I would put a foil heat barrier between the bulb and the eggs.

8. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:thank you very much. these instructions help very much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by