1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with bunnies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cknmom, Apr 28, 2008.

1. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Our dog dug up some bunnies in our neighbors horse corral this morning. She said one was dead(he didn't kill it) she found two alive. She couldn't find the burrow to put them back in. So now I have two LITTLE bunnies in a cage covered with towels so it is dark in my living room. I don't know how old they are, they are very, very, small, one more so than the other. I don't know what to give them, can they have reg. milk? I have a syringe to give them water. What can I give them to eat?
    All our phones on our mt. are out today for some reason, so I cannot call any shelters, vets, friends etc. I REALLY don't want to keep them but do not know what to do otherwise.

Monica

2. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Do they have fur? Are there eyes open?

You can try some spinach and give them some hay to chew on.

It all depends on their age.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ahh - glad you got those bunnies and they just didn't die there. However, wild bunnies are one of the hardest babies for people to raise. For some reason they just don't do well being hand raised by people.

If there's anyway for you to talk to a local vet or shelter they might know of someone who has successfully raised wild rabbits. Or, try your wildlife office and talk to them as they might have ideas for you. I realize you don't have phones right now so I don't know how you can talk to these people unless you can drive somewhere that does have service.

Good luck. Maybe someone on here has actually been able to raise some and will jump in and be able to help you out.

4. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Yes they have fur and their eyes are open. One is about 3" long and the other about 5". As soon as the phones come back on I can call my DSF, he is a retired vetrinarian. But the last ime our phones were out it took them three days to get them back up. I will see if I can get some hay from my neighbor. I don't drive so I cannot get to a phone.

Monica.

5. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I've taken care of orphaned wild rabbit babies and it's not easy. Too much handling (picking up, stroking), they will die. It's a kind of shock they go through. Keep them warm, especially if they are only a few days old. Depending on their age (can you give us a picture??) you can put a warm water bottle under a blanket and put that under them, or an electric heating blanket (on low), with some hay or shavings to snuggle in. As to feeding them, they must have warm water. From a dropper is a good way to start but try not to pick them up when you do it. Again, avoid handling as much as possible. You can get some electrolite mix for animals at a pet food store that will help get their strength up. If you can't find any, you can mix 5 parts warm water, with one part apple juice. As to food, again, depending on how old they are, hay, fruits and raw veggies are good if they can chew. If they are still too young, you can just keep them on electrolites or watered down fruit juice until you can get some professional help for them.

Good luck! You have nature's sweetest treasures in your care.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise rabbits and I have even rescued a wild one and raised it. I use kitten milk replacer, mixed as per the directions on the can or bottle. The Mama rabbit only feeds like once or twice a day in the wee hours of the morning before the sun comes up. Rabbit milk is THE richest milk in the mammal world so she only has to feed once a day, you however will have to feed 2-3 times a day. You can get a box and make them a nest with an old towel or some hay or whatever you have handy. They like the DARK the best and it's best to feed them in a dark bathroom or somewhere they will not be over stimulated. I use an eye dropper or a small bottle with nipple whichever is easiest on you and they like the best. ANy rabbit that is bottle fed usually does not do great and it may even die no matter how good you take care of it. Hope this helps and good luck!

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure this isn't going to sound positive, but, on my first day of Wildlife Rehab class, I was asked about how I felt regarding euthanization and would I be able to perform that on wild rabbits(and you really don't want to know how they teach that! Ugh.) That is because wild rabbits are one of the hardest wild babies/animals to rehab. So, with that being said, if in fact they don't make it, don't blame it on anything that you should or could have done. It's great of you to take the time and help the little ones out.

8. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Quote:Well said [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    The only luck I ever had raising wild bunnies was the one I put in with a litter of tame bunnies and the momma bunny took care of it for me. Bottle ones always seem to get pnemonia.

10. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by