help with california quail housing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by darkfur, May 23, 2010.

1. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

hey guys
    I have a secret plan to present my better half with a pair of california quail for his birthday but obviously I wouldn't just buy birds with nowhere to put them! Now coturnix I know (all 300 of them we have currently...) but calis I am not sure about what would be the best accomodation for them. Can anyone post pics or suggestions? My only stipulation is that the side of the housing has to be narrow enough to get it out of the door of the shed I will be secretly constructing it in [​IMG]
    love and quail
    the fur

2. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm curious to see that myself. Eagerly awaiting responses from folks with pictures!

3. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Ime, make sure the place you get them from already keeps them in cages . . .

I got some breeders from a guy who keeps them in huge outdoor flight pens at least 100' x 200' +++, and once I got them home, I tried a couple different caging options i had . . .

They pretty much all stopped laying and really do not like being confined.

They are very very very flighty.

Id suggest building as big of pen as you can, at least 10 x 20, with a indoor area in it, or at the very least- a huge tractor-type cage.

Ime, any cage that will fit thru a doorway is NOT big enough for Ca Valley quail . . .

HTH

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Do Fine In Cages And Being Off The Ground Helps With Disease And Parasite Control. They Are Very Flighty And I'm Sure If They Are Used To Being In A Large Flight Pen Then Yes They Will Be Unhappy.

5. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks guys. Still would love input from those with experience in keeping these fellas.
    In New Zealand they seem to often be kept in aviaries with other birds, which to me hardly seems ideal. Good tip about birds raised in big pens, I can imagine they would be incredibly jumpy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by