Help with call duck eggs PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jhealy6, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jhealy6

jhealy6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I have, since yesterday, been talked through helping my baby calls out of the shell but now everyone has logged off and I don't know what to do next. Here is a picture I took about an hour ago. The one on the right is starting to be less active but there is still blood when I try to break away the shell. The one to the right has what looks like a lot of yoke left but it is now day 28 (Set eggs May 20th at 8pm Mountain Time) I tried to give them electrolytes but they won't open there beaks for it. I'm scared they will die. Please anyone who has experience with these little guys please help.
    Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Keep the membrane wet so they can still move and when they are ready they will come out. They are not very active yet because they have not absorbed the yolk and blood from the veins. When hatching - they get more room to move when the yolk is absorbing making it easier for them to turn- when you break the shell like this they have nothing to push against when trying to move.

3. jhealy6

jhealy6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Have you ever had or heard of call ducks taking this long to hatch day 28 now looks like it could be 29. These are white snowy calls. How often though out the night should I wake up to moisten the eggs? Thank you

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I dont breed calls- but I do read they they are more likely to hatch on day 26. How was the temperature during incubation. If it was too low that could account for why they are late- and also contribute to the hatching problems. I assume its pretty late where you are..... wet them before you go to sleep them maybe once at 4 am. They may have stuck around the edges. I use a wet cotton bud to wet those bits and unstick them from the ducklings down when I need to. By the morning they should have absorbed the yolk and be moving around a bit more since they would be closer to being ready to come out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by