Help with candling eggs, no idea stage of development

speckled6

Chirping
Apr 15, 2017
Southwest WI
Ok y'all, I need some help.
I have a broody hen(BLRW splash-big girl) She's been in her nest box for about a month now I'd guess, maybe a week or so more.
At first we we're removing the eggs daily and shooing her out of the box b/c it's the favorite box for all my hens.
Then she became very aggressive toward my kids and eggs didn't get collected daily for a few days (unbeknownst to me b/c I work 2nd shift and didn't do the final check)
Anyway, this broody is aggressive toward humans and some hens, but has no issue with the leghorns, so odd, and leghorns kept laying in the box.
Sunday afternoon, a chick hatched! Then Monday, another one was in the nest box that we didn't even see hatch like the first one.
My nest boxes are well off the ground and I'm afraid to move mama and the eggs so late in the game, so we set up a brooder box and have been taking the newly hatched babes there.
5 have hatched, 1 died b/c the broody squished it, 1 was an assisted hatch. There was a cracked egg in the nest box tonight. The shell was pulled away from the membrane, membrane dried and really white and everything inside was sloshing around, so I assume it was stepped on before being ready to hatch and died.
So, I tried candling the eggs remaining. Some were new eggs, clear, b/c the leghorns have continued to lay in there. I think there were too many eggs (28!) so I removed any that we're clear and obviously not hatching any time soon. I think I brought the number down to 21??? And I marked an "X" in pencil on the remaining eggs so I know which are the possible chicks.
Oh, I should mention, this was quite an accidental hatching as I didn't know how long she'd been sitting on eggs and also the first time I have ever had any eggs hatch, no incubator here or I would have grabbed them all and stuck them in there.
Anyway, some of the eggs I could see an air sack, but it was sideways along the shell, some air pockets at one end of the egg of varying sizes, some were solid black with no air pocket and some looked like the pics of a 14-16 day development that I saw online.
What do the all dark eggs indicate? Are those dead in the shell? I saw no movement, but I didn't know when I candled that was possible, so didn't look for it.
I was picking the hen up and moving her to look at the eggs and see if there were any pips, but now I just lift her up a bit (how I found the broken egg)
What should I do? Just leave the eggs and see what hatches? Try to candle again and see if there's movement or if I can get a better idea of how far developed they are? What should I look for if I do candle?
Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but after 3 days of online searches I have more questions than answers.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I think the black means internal pip, but I'm no expert! But if it was me I'd probably let the ones that look close hatch. But what a fun surprise :D

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, if black means internal pips, they would be DIS now since it's been 2 days since I candled them. I read once internally pipped they should hatch within 48 hrs. Is that right?
I plan to give our broody another week to 10 days to see if anymore hatch, but we've had none in the last 2 days hatch, so I'm not sure of the viability of the remaining ones.
Maybe I disturbed them too much candling them? Or maybe it's this crazy weather (hot, now cold and rainy)? I don't know. I'm at a loss.
I would love to see more hatch. We have 11 different breeds and these are many different breeds eggs. I believe 2 that hatched are EE crosses with either a Wyandotte or a golden comet. So cute!
At least 2 of the 4 are roos though and we already have 2, so I would like to get more hens, of course.
Sigh... I just want them to hatch and be healthy.
I haven't candled again. I'm trying to just listen for peeps and leave mama alone. I think she can hatch them better without me intervening.
Thanks again for the reply. And I agree, what a fun surprise!

Yea that's what I've come to understand. I don't think it was the candling, trust me I've got chicks hatching for the first time in the incubator, and I candled like everyday! Could be the weather, or just in the wrong position, I had one today confirmed dead with it's foot over its head :hit:confused: oh my I could imagine!! Any pictures?? But ugh of course!! I can't tell what my chicks are so far, but I'm definitely hoping girls!! It's so hard to leave them alone though! I keep having to remind myself to not open the incubator :he but not a problem!! And for sure!!:D

I watched about 100 videos on feather sexing day old chicks, so that's how I determined, with my untrained eyes, at least 2 are roos.
I'll have to figure out how to post pics. I did get video of the 1st one hatching, that was really neat! She's, best guess, a black Australorp, silver laced Wyandotte cross. Adorable little black fluffy butt! :)

Oh ok! Gotta love youtube!! That is amazing!! We didn't even know the first hatched until we went in, my kids were very excited! But the second we got to watch and the 3rd apparently wanted privacy like the first!! That's awesome!! I have a black australorp rooster, so almost all of mine will be mixes. I have 2 australorp, a rhode island red, golden comet, and a barred rock hen. So far all are black with a little yellow :love it's so exciting!!

So exciting! Nice little flock you have there. How many eggs did you set?
My Australorp/Wyandotte cross has a white speck on one side of her face but not the other. I think I'll name her Marilyn! :lau
Still no new pips when I left for work today. Anxiously hoping for more chickie-babies!
Best of luck to you with your hatch:pop

I think so too! :D I set 16, 2 were infertile, 1 died early on, 1 died last night. And now I have 6 hatched!!! How many did you have? Oh my gosh! Adorable!!!! Pictures?? And for sure I'm waiting on the rest of mine to zip!!! Takes forever!! Thank you!! And same to you!!:D

I have been just leaving my broody alone and listening for peeps the last couple days. Nothing. I was so sad.
Then I went out this morning and thought I heard one in the back of the nest box. I lifted mama up a little hoping to see an external pip...but I saw 2 chicks!!!
I got them out and into the brooder box and went back to look for pips and found 2 more chicks!
Holy cow what a surprise!!! They are all fluffy, but look fairly new yet so I think they're only 1 day old.
There's 2 that are yellow and 2 darker ones, but not sure of the parentage.
Oh, imIso excited! That brings the total hatch to 8 and she's still sitting on several eggs, but didn't want to disturb her that much so didn't count.
Anymore of yours hatch C3?
I tried posting a pic, but it didn't work. I'll try again when I get home again.

Oh my gosh!!!! So exciting! I love the little fluff balls!! But yes I definitely would love to see pictures!! And I had all but the one hatch, the 12 of them are so cute!! One little white one and the rest are black and yellow!! :love and I just realized I haven't taken a picture since I put em all together!! :rolleyes: so I'll post one soon!!

Back
Top Bottom