HELP with cat!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by nelgkel, May 12, 2010.

1. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I am [​IMG] with this!! Our cat that we adopted in Dec of 2007 has decided to start peeing on the couch! I took him to the vet, he has a UTI !! Just spent $2000 last year for a urinary blockage! We got a leather sectional off craigslist! Every person in the family really likes it!! The previous owner had a monkey and I think the monkeys diaper leaked and got some urine on the couch and the cat smelled it and decided to mark his territory. We have tried cleaning it with vinegar, odoban and now I am ready to take it to the driveway and soak it down with cleaners and try to get it clean..this is a last ditch effort! If we can't get the smell out then I am afraid he will use it again!! If we do get rid of it...we have no couch and no $$$ to get a new one! Worried that when we do get a new couch that he will pee on it! He has never done this before, not sure if it is the animal smells or the leather....

ANYONE>>>CAN YOU HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I've never had the problem myself, but sister had issue with a neutered cat spraying the kitchen counter and stove. Nothing worked except the vet put the cat on antidepressants for separation anxiety. It worked.

Good luck with your boy.

3. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    thanks for the help...hoping I get some more responses...

will ask vet about antidepressants for cat...

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We use odoban, so if that doesn't work I'm afraid nothing will.
    Have you taken the couch cushion completely apart and cleaned deep? Just surface cleaning is not enough.

5. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    This is more to do with the cat than the couch, but you need to get the little guy onto some Urinary specific food, such as Royal Canin SO. It costs more, but you will save that over and over by not racking up the vet bills.

Trust me on this one. I have a $2,500 cat, too. [​IMG]

6. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    THANKS YA'LL!
    I cannot take the cushions off of the one part of the sectional...the other part with the sleeper, took them out and soaked them in a baby pool full of vinegar!
    UGHHHHHH frustrated! Think I def. need to get prescription food! One thing I read was that food high in magnesium causes UTI's....

Never a shortage of fun at our house!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    OT - I just read your location, nelgkel and saw that you live in Melbourne. I have lots of family there and in fact spent part of my growing up years there.
    Recently I found out that my ex moved to Palm Bay and has opened an auction business there. [​IMG]

8. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Our female cat has been on Hill's S/D prescription for about a year now, because last year she would pee constantly out of the litter box, and every couple of minutes she would try to go. It turned out to be a UTI also. Still even with the food she will once in a while have issues. At first the vet gave her antibiotics/wet presciption food, and then we switched to this dry one which we were told is to be eaten for the rest of her life.
    Let the vet tell you what you should do, because the longer you wait, the worse it will be!
    Good luck!

9. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    dot n'dave :

Our female cat has been on Hill's S/D prescription for about a year now, because last year she would pee constantly out of the litter box, and every couple of minutes she would try to go. It turned out to be a UTI also. Still even with the food she will once in a while have issues. At first the vet gave her antibiotics/wet presciption food, and then we switched to this dry one which we were told is to be eaten for the rest of her life.
    Let the vet tell you what you should do, because the longer you wait, the worse it will be!
    Good luck!

we cannot ever give dry food...ever! :-( he did not mention putting him back on the prescription food, but I will ask...he is finishing up antibiotics now....​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by