Help with Chick down genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by 3riverschick, May 2, 2017.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Hi, Can some expert out there help me please? I have chicks hatching. it's a Light Sussex ex cuckoo Marans pullets
    They are sold. I have two colors of chicks: solid black ; and solid black with a white dot on the head. Can anybody help me with determining the sexes?
    Thank you very much !
    The yellow chicks are pure English strain Light Sussex chicks. No problems there.
    Karen

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Are you saying theyre a light sussex rooster x cuckoo marans hens offspring?
    If so solid black are pullets and head spot blacks are cockerels.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Thanks Moonshiner. okay that means we've got five cockerels and two Pullets. now that's interesting what you said about the temperature because in that particular hatch of LS ex CM, we had five robust Cockerels and two delicate pullets. A third pullet was born immature physically and we had to cull it. so maybe the temperature was a little bit high for this particular cross?
    the pure Light Sussex chicks hatched in the same tray came out just fine .no problem with them. Just nice robust chicks in both sexes.
    Best ,
    Karen

Last edited: May 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by