Help with chick ids *pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Aug 21, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I got 14 new chicks at a sale last night. Can anyone help identify their breeds, please?

#1 -have 3 like this... (Australorp maybe?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 -have 2 of these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 -have 3 of these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 -have 6 of these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is Nemo, my 1 winged chick (supposedly Silkie? but maybe a mix)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:I would guess.. the first guess is right. #2 chicks. not sure #3. dunno. #4, Rhode island red or New hampshire red?, last. I dont know. but i kind of doubt Silkie. did you order the chicks assorted?. If so. what was in the assorted bunch? its much easier to give you a say then because then we're not guessing through the 500 different breeds of chicks that look a lot alike [​IMG]

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Nope, unfortunately I didn't have any say so in the breeds. I got them at an auction last night, the reddish ones were all in one box and the other 3 colors were in another box.

The one with 1 wing, I got last week all by itself and the box had Silkie chick written on it. The only things telling me that it might be at least part Silkie is the 5 toes on each foot and its size. At almost 2 weeks it is still only the same size as the 2-3 day old standards I just posted.

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Could the black ones possibly be Black Jersey Giants?

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    very possible to be black jersey giants. Or even Black sexlinks. Most black breeds look like that and cant tell what they are until older.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    The second ones look strikingly similar to my gold phoenix as chicks

[​IMG]

This pick was before they began to feather but the color pattern is the same

7. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    So I think my possibilities for the little black ones are Australorps, Black Sex Links or Black Jersey Giants.

#2 Maybe Phoenix or Brown Leghorn?

#3 I haven't a clue

#4 RIR?

and Nemo, still no clue. He sort of resembles the little Brahma bantam I had, but both those and Silkies should have feathered feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by