Help with chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickalicia, Feb 19, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have a chick that is having a hard time standing up. Do I leave him inside incubator or do I make him a home to go into inside house? Advice please!....

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hatching can be pretty exhausting for a chick, so it can take a while for him to rest, dry and eventually get his footing. Most people recommend leaving chicks in the incubator until the hatch is complete or 12-24 hours, whichever comes first. You want to make sure the chick is completely dry before removing him.

If it's been 24 hours and he's still having trouble walking, some other folks with more incubation experience will need to weigh in on possible causes and solutions.

3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Ok. Thank you. It's been over 12 hours. He's dried. Chirping and moving just can't stand up favors his left side can't go on his left aide

4. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    The chick I think was hatched a day or two earlier before it should have I think that is why it's struggling to walk on his legs he seems to be doing good but still cannot stand any advice would be great

5. song of joy

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    At this point, I would try moving the chicks into the brooder. Make sure the brooder temperature is around 90 degrees, offer water and feed, and put paper towels over your brooder bedding to provide traction and a surface you can sprinkle feed on for the first couple of days. Perhaps these changes will encourage the chick to get up and move around to strengthen its legs.

6. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Yes I have done that. It did seem to help. Although I put cloth down a shirt for him to help keep warm. He seems to be a bit stronger but still has hard time. He can raise up a bit more. Doesn't eat or drink it's n there n I offer it. Day by day. I hope he gets stronger

7. song of joy

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    How are your baby chicks doing?

8. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    He had Died yesterday [​IMG]. V sad thing for me cried a lot. But I did get another from incubator ltr that day so that helped But still sad. Ty for asking [​IMG]

9. song of joy

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'm so sorry! Just remember, you did everything you could. I hope the remaining chicks grow strong and healthy.

10. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Ty vm. Yes they are so strong and run so fast already lol I also am getting more from broody outside. I have many chicks. But that one was special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by