Help with chicken illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wixfarms, Nov 7, 2011.

1. wixfarms

wixfarms New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    I have chicken that is 7 months old and she has trouble keeping her balance. She looks confused and wobbles. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks - Ron & Donna

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Pick her up and visually inspect her for lice/mites. Especially check the around her vent area, and at the base of her tail. You can see lice crawling on them. Mites are very slow movers and kinda look like pepper. She also could have ear mites causing imbalance. Treatment would be to put a few drops of vegetable oil in each ear to smother the mites, use an eyedropper to administer the vegetable oil. If she doesnt have lice/mites, it could be a vitamin issue. You can purchase poultry nutri drench at a feed store and give her 3 drops a day by mouth twice a day for about 5 days and see if there's improvement. Hopefully the nutri drench will help. Dont give the nutri drench to her more than 5 days, it can cause diarrhea. Good luck.

3. wixfarms

wixfarms New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    Thank you dawg for advice. I picked her up and she did not have lice/mites. I will isolate her and feed her as suggested.

Ron & Donna

4. wl858

wl858 New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    hello

how did you make out ? did it work for your hen . i have a hen thats about 8 months old and she is waling very weird .. almost high stepping and like to sit now. she has a hard time getting down ... she is eating ok and just seems to have problems walking and standing. is this like what your hen was doing??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by