Help with chicks legs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michellemire, Aug 27, 2014.

1. michellemire

michellemire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Has anybody ever had a chick hatch with it's legs like this if so is there any thing I can do for it it's legs are stiff like that I can move them but the chick can't [​IMG]

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hello,

I saw on another thread where a chick had a foot similar to that and a veteran poster stated that it 'might' be a vitamin B deficiency...here is a thread to get you started while you await more replies...I would also consider reposting this in the injuries/illness thread under raising back yard chickens when you enter the Forum section.
    There are threads on how to splint there feet to redirect their brain on the correct posture to walk accordingly. (Best to do it within the first couple of days though, the longer you wait the harder it can be to retrain their feet, assuming that that is the chicks problem)
    Good luck,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...malpositions-and-deformities-in-chick-embryos

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. shirleythemom

shirleythemom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    I have an almost twenty four hour old chick. I treated it last night for spraddle leg. But I think something more could be wrong. I keep finding it flat on its stomach with its feet straight out behind it. It can balance sitting back on its haunches but can only stand al the way up for a second. It also won't walk forward only backward, then it falls over backward and rolls on its stomach. It's feet are not twisted or curled. They just seem weak. Does anyone have any ideas?

5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I have an almost twenty four hour old chick. I treated it last night for spraddle leg. But I think something more could be wrong. I keep finding it flat on its stomach with its feet straight out behind it. It can balance sitting back on its haunches but can only stand al the way up for a second. It also won't walk forward only backward, then it falls over backward and rolls on its stomach. It's feet are not twisted or curled. They just seem weak. Does anyone have any ideas?[/quote

Better replies if you start a thread in the emergency injury and disease section of raising backyard chickens..,

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Shirley this could be a thiamine deficiency that can be carried through the egg from the parent stock. Have you tried some vitamin supplement ? Polyvisol , brewers yeast or an avian multi vit might help. Have you checked to see if the hips are aligned? Can you post a pic of how you have applied the straddle leg tapes?

7. michellemire

michellemire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    The lil white chick died the lil black chick is doing fine I found a lady that rescues animals n have had a chickens before that she worked wit so I gave it to her

8. shirleythemom

Sep 24, 2013
    Well, I used a chick starter vitamin yesterday and tomorrow I am going to get some more different ones. The sling isn't working. The chick stands up but leans forward so much it just falls over because it walks backward still. The leg band seems to keep his legs together. I can't tell if the hips are aligned. I just gave him some yeast now. So tomorrow I will go to get more vitamins. Thanks for your help. Here are the pics.[​IMG][/IMG]

9. shirleythemom

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

10. shirleythemom

Sep 24, 2013
    I just hope it's not too late.:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by