Help with chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tonyamarie, May 2, 2017.

1. tonyamarie

tonyamarie New Egg

Apr 16, 2013
    I have a dozen or so chicks about 3 weeks old they were all doing great till about a week ago. 6 of the chicks are welsummer and they are the olny ones to be affected, i am finding them unable to walk and labored breathing. It seems to be happening one at a time, i will move her from the other chicks and i can get them back up and moving around day 2 by handfeeding and syringe . When i go to put the chick back with the others i find another one down. They are under a red heat light, not outside yet, medicated chick feed, and are in pine bedding. I have been raising a couple years and i have never had this problem. I need help :(

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Not being there to see, etc, I have no idea but Just for info, have you checked your temp in the brooder----a red heat lamp sounds like a Huge Over Kill----that can Kill. I know you have experience but something to think about here----why would "we" need a Huge red heat lamp to raise a few chicks when a Broody hen only heats a area about the size of a small plate and she is outside??? Only a small area needs to be heated---the rest of the brooder unheated. Good Luck

Pics just for a thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. Laya egg

Laya egg Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    How are the chicks doing? Did you consider coccidiosis? I do not feel like the heat lamp was overkill, as long as the chicks had an area away from the lamp. Also, from all of my readings, if you are going to do a heat lamp, the red one is the most responsible one to go with. Another thought is to add electrolytes to the water if you have not already been doing this. Save-a-chick is one version available at most feed stores.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    A red heat lamp properly used in a good size brooder is fine--a 250 watt heat lamp shinning down in a small plastic tote----is a over-kill for a few chicks in My Opinion. Read the OP quoted post below. When removing the chick that "sounds" like its possibly dying from a heat stroke----the chick gets better in a day or two----Sounds like it might be getting to hot----might be??? Needs to check the temp----they are 3 weeks old---don't need a lot of heat---want hurt to check the temperature----will it?

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed - it's not a biggie to check the temp. By 10 days my chicks have no heat source (though they are brooded indoors).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by