Help with cocci please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Huskeriowa, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chirping

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

I have a small mixed flock. I have six hens that are two years old and just added three youngsters that are four months. I have the run set up in a way that the younger girls can get away from the older ones and still have access to food and water.

I have noticed that the younger three like to settle in a nook away from the hens and did not think there was anything unusual as this practice continued. Saturday night I went out to grab the younger three to place them in their coop. I noticed that when I picked up one of them it spit out clear liquid. I had never seen that before. The next morning that bird was dead. I still didn't think anything was wrong with any of the others until last night late one of the other chicks did the same thing. This morning it was dead as well. From everything I have read here it seems it is cocci which I never knew anything about until now.

So I went to tsc and the other farm feed dealers in my area and none of them had the products recommended in this forum. I contacted area vets and they couldn't help me out either. I went to or called fifteen stores in search of the recommended products and it was unavailable. I just got home from driving an hour to get a product that the vet store said would work but I cant find any information about how to dose it.

The product is called BMD Soluble. This product was mentioned in another post on here and the comment I read was only that it isn't ideal for a small group of hens. Hopefully this product while not ideal is sufficient to get the job done because I literally cant find ANY of the recommended products anywhere.

The active ingredients list bacitracin from bacitracin methylene disalicylate.

The dosages are for people that have proportioners. I need to give the birds a fresh gallon of water each day and don't know how much to put into that one gallon of water.

Rates listed on the back are 200 to 400 mg/gal. Sorry for the long post but any suggestion on how much to use? One tee spoon or two etc?

Thanks very much

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Bacitracin is an antibiotic and I think it's used to prevent and treat necrotic enteritis, not coccidiosis. You need amprolium (Corid or Amprol) or a Sulfa drug like Sulmet. You should be able to find both at TSC.

-Kathy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chirping

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Ok I will head out and get some. Thanks much!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: