Help with Coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TroyBlackburn, Feb 5, 2013.

1. TroyBlackburn

TroyBlackburn Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    I've got a total of 44 Chickens: 7 of them are about a year old and I bought from a nursery; 23 are are 11 weeks old and also bought from a nursery; 14 are 5 weeks old and I hatched them myself. I have not fed the ones I hatch medicated for, nor did I vaccinate them (I know, should have fed medicated food or vaccinated). Anyway all have been doing great until today (or today was the day I noticed something wrong), each age group has it's own area, however I have let the year old and the 11 week old chickens interact. I have also in the past few days allowed the 11 week old and the 5 week old chicks to interact in the same space. Today 2 of the 5 week old chicks died and 1 is very sick. I've done some research and I'm sure it's Coccidiosis.

What should I used to treat the 5 week old chicks and should I treat the 11 week old chicks as well. I've noticed bloody droppings in both the 5 week old chick and the 11 week old chick areas, however I can not be sure that the bloody dropping in the 11 week old chick area was not from a 5 week old chick when I let them run around. I also do not know for sure if Ideal Poultry (where I bought the 11 week old chicks) vaccinated for Coccidiosis.

Thank You
    Troy

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Corid is generally considered the safest treatment for cocci. Personally I would treat everyone. The dosage for the Corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc/ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a new mixture daily. Do not add ACV nor anything else to the mixture. Hopefully you can get it at your feed store.

Also, here is an old but informative thread on cocci. It should be pointed out, though, that chickens are lactose intolerant so shouldn't be given regular liquid milk.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/461910/will-antibiotics-from-feed-store-treat-coccidia

3. TroyBlackburn

TroyBlackburn Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    What's ACV? I have one 11 week old chick with what appears to be a wry neck. I've seen several suggestions of adding some vitamins, or poultry nutrients to the water, should I wait until after the cocci treatment for that? Can I continue to eat the eggs while I treat the laying hens with Corid? If not, how long should I wait?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]ACV, is Apple Cider Vinegar. it helps keep down bacteria in the digestive system, also can cut down mucus in birds with respiratory infections. I used it in my chicken's water for about a week when I was treating them for what I thought was a respiratory infection, turned out to be something else, but nevertheless, it did help a lot with the mucus problem, making it easier for them to breathe, and kept down bacteria. I am also having to treat with Corid, and I was told by someone who knows, when using the Corid, NOT to put ANYTHING else in the water with it, just the Corid. I have NOT been using ACV while I'm treating for Coccidiosis with Corid. During normal times, you can put ACV in your chicken's water (I was doing 4 TBS per gal, but I've seen different doses like 2 TBS and less), to help with just their health in general, and it is said to help keep the water containers clean also, but you are never supposed to use it in metal containers because of the reaction it causes with the metal, use only plastic or glass containers. ACV is actually to me, a miracle drug, I use it myself for many things, can also be used to clean minor wounds, and as a side note, will help eliminate hot spot on dogs. It kills germs on contact, you can even put it in your bath water (your own). As for eating the eggs, I don't know about that, or the withdrawl period from Corid, if there is one, but me myself, I wouldn't eat the eggs while I was treating them for anything. You may can cook the eggs and feed them back to the chickens though so they won't be wasted or just thrown away, That's supposed to be good for them, but you might need to ask about that or wait for someone to reply on it. I know that when treating with antibiotics, there is a withdrawl period on some of those for 14 or more days, but don't know about Corid. Sorry. Hope your chickens get better.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Treat for cocci first, follow Flockwatchers instructions. Then treat for wry neck afterwards. Eggs are safe to eat after using corid.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I frequently battle cocciodosis when I transfer a cohort of brooder reared birds to Field pens when it has been raining a lot and occasionally when I slip up with bio-security where coccidia infected material gets into brooder with vulnerable chicks (genetics plays a major role with coccidia on side of birds and parasite). Birds have two problems that become evident that I can manage for to increase survival from an untreated 10% to a treated 95%. As a preventative I use a medicated chick feed laced with a coccidiostat during brooder phase and for 2 weeks following transfer to Field pens which is continued for two weeks after birds hit ground regardless of birds appearance. This slows the inevitable infection by coccidia enough so the birds immune system can ramp up to control it. Coccodiostat in feed need not be one that is good enough to control a full-blown infection but is still good enough to still slow progression in otherwise healthy bird. The coccidiostat Corid is the big gun reserved for very vulnerable chicks as soon as signs are evident. Noting earliest signs take practice and birds do show them even before blood in poo becomes evident. With vulnerable birds I watch very closely during and immediately following transfer to Field pens. I also have a container of corid sitting around at all times so treatment can begin immediately.

Temperature-With smaller birds, make every effort to protect them from cold and wet conditions. The damaged digestive tract creates an energy drain in addition to the loss of nutrient intake. Birds are loosing energy that would otherwise be available for generating heat and feather maintenance. Improperly maintained feathers are not as effective insulators. Younger infected birds in particular I provide supplemental heat from a heat lamp like you do with younger chicks. Make so they can control proximity so they do not overheat.

Hydration / Salt Balance- Infected chicks tend to have drop in appetite but defecate a larger volume of watery poo that has fluids (blood / plasma) with salts and other dissolved materials the bird would not normally excrete. Such birds have an increased need for water to prevent dehydration. I have experimented around and found this to be one of the few times I will use electrolytes in water and see observable benefits. The electrolytes help maintain salt balance while feed intake is suppressed. Once improvement in appetite begins, discontinue electrolytes.

Culture Management- make every effort to make so birds not as likely to consume feces. They will tend to hover around water-er so I elevate it. Additionally water is changed much more frequently which results in discard of good medication but reduces rate of infection / re-infection. Keep feed elevated as well. With infections in brooder I change bedding much more frequently which can be a source of stress.

Stress management-Minimize handling / scaring birds which is same in most situations. Even tame birds are stressed by handlings.

7. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Prevent areas in pens from getting moist, dirty and matting. Also make sure the birds are not crowded and drinking nasty water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by