Help with construction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cluckogeden, Mar 10, 2012.

1. cluckogeden

cluckogeden New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    Hi, we are constructing a back yard coop for the first time. Thinking of laying a high gauge chicken wire across the entire area. Then covering with a couple of cm of soil and then probably 8 cm of coarse sand, all retained within boards which will make up the boundary. So we have about 100 mm of soil and sand on top of the wire. The wire is added to rat proof the enclosure so that the coop is totally enclosed from below. Does this design pose any issue? The chicken will dig, will they dig down to the wire and does that present any hazard to them. Alternative is to bury the wire even deeper (200 mm?).

Thanks for you advice
    Steve, Somerset, UK

2. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    my chickens liked to dig alot; loved their dustbaths. I think deeper might be better....... [​IMG]

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hi Cluckogeden, I am not sure how deep 100mm would be...but i don't see any problems being extra secure from rats.
    Yes they do like to take dust baths. They will dig it up quick. Maybe if you offer them a
    separate dust box, that might help a bit.

4. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    yep, that might help, just do what you feel is right, and if you run into problems, well mistakes are there to learn from... [​IMG] Good Luck!!!! [​IMG]

5. cluckogeden

cluckogeden New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    Thanks to all for your advice. I think we will lay the wire deeper maybe 150 cm (6 inches). I guess our concern was the chicken might get their feet caught in the wire. realistic concern?

thanks

6. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    very realistic... I had to slaughter chickens because they got their feet tangled in wire. part of the reason i suggested deeper [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by