1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with coop plan

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zinia8, Apr 2, 2011.

1. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Hello everyone
    so here is the ideas for coop that is now being built only its going to be 4x6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    does anyone think that it needs more ventilation than what is pictured? I was trying to tell my hubby that ventilation is a good thing but I keep getting the look. I was thinking of putting a gable vent 12"x12" above the pop door and a window in the people door. Steel roof with a ridge vent.

2. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Is the window in the front the only ventilation? If so, then yes, you need more. I don't remember the exact amount required per bird, but the more ventilation you can provide them the better. If you live where it gets cold, then make the vents so that some of them can be closed. Windows in opposite walls create a draft which is great. It also helps to rid the coop of fumes from decomposing poop and such.

3. zinia8

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Thank you for the help. now I have to pray for warmer weather so the work can continue. Don't think it will ever quit snowing
    [​IMG]
    Need to get the chickies out of the garage.

4. zinia8

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    coop is up but not fishished still need to and couple more vents and pop door, but its getting there
    [​IMG]

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Nice.

6. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    That was a quick build.
    It is always nice to just get one and place it down

7. zinia8

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Quote:I wish I had the money for one. Thats why we decided to build our coop. Total cost so far $50.00. Boyfriend is a carpenter so we reused alot of materials from remodeling jobs that would of ended up in the landfill. Actual construction started at the beginning of March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by