help with cracked beak

veedo

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Hi guys, new here to the forum, but I've been lurking for the past year and learned a ton. We have a problem with one of our chickens, she somehow cracked her beak and we are worried about what to do. She is our friendliest most tame chicken we have ever seen, and would be a sad day if we lost her. Is it possible to put a thin layer of quickset jb weld epoxy over it? There is no bleeding yet, but the crack goes most of the way around her beak. I will try to attach some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If it is just cracked and she is eating/drinking fine then I'd let it be. Might not want to chance epoxy accidently covering nose holes. My roo once got his beak cut off all the way to the tip of the quick- the food he ate stopped the bleeding and it required no assistance from me. Grew back in no time at all.

Just thought about your pic- is the crack all the way through and her beak just hanging? Guess you could try VERY Carefully using the tiniest bit of super glue to secure it together to aide in healing. Perhaps someone else can jump in and offer another tip?

Just thought about your pic- is the crack all the way through and her beak just hanging? Guess you could try VERY Carefully using the tiniest bit of super glue to secure it together to aide in healing. Perhaps someone else can jump in and offer another tip?
X2

Its hard to tell if its broke all the way through or not. She seems pretty cautious with it. It does look like it is cracked all the way passed one side. The crack stops short on the other side.

With it like that I wouldn't risk messing it up beyond repair by "helping". So long as she is still eating, drinking and pooing okay I'd just keep an eye on her progress. She'll probably have the 'I'm hurting' look for a week or so. Add ACV w/ mothers to her water (or Sav-a-Chic). If you don't see her getting her share of food you may want to section off a part of the coop for her. One kid that is feeling down doesn't want to push through the crowd of kids for candy right? Hope it heals quickly.

thanks for the reply. do beaks heal on their own? or do they grow out? I am just scared she will bump it again and tear the whole thing off! they are all fairly young chickens, they are just starting to lay their first couple of eggs.

They can heal and they grow out like nails do. That's why if a chicken has nothing to wear down their beak on it has to be trimmed. Eventually it will grow out. Did she bleed any? If not then the quick wasn't hit. She should be fine.

We didn't notice any blood. Looks like it hurts though! She definitely isn't pecking around like she used to. Shell take food out of my hand very gently.

Back
Top Bottom