Help with crippled chick ):

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brookeee2013, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Brookeee2013

Brookeee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    Ok so nemo (who got his name because he had a scar across his egg) is really having a tough time. He is probably 3-4 days old and I still haven't seen him eat or drink. I noticed that one of his feet is smaller than the other and he doesn't have full use of it. He keeps it really close to his body. He can walk, but not very far. He just hobbles. The others walk on top of him. And as theyre all growing, hes still a little feller ): I'm determined to keep this guy alive. Hes in bed with me right now laying on a heating pad and covered up with a blanket with his little head sticking out. Help please!

2. Agafan

Agafan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    Well, I'm no authority on his handicap but I do know he has to eat & drink as he is at or past the point of having used up his yolk sac nutrition (72 hrs). Have you put his beak in the feeder and waterer? Try an eye dropper for the water if he won't drink. Did you give him the green Jello like grow gel yet? Just put his beak in the feeder and you tap on it with your finger like you are pecking at it. At least he'll have a fighting chance if you can get food -water in him. That was so sweet to read that you have home in bed with you on a heating pad. I am at almost a week now myself with raising 16 new chicks that hatched last Mon,(arrived Wed). All 16 were fine and happy and thriving until I came home last nite after Christmas shopping to see one of my RIR dead. So sad and for seemingly no reason at all. Good luck with your sp needs peep.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Yep its important to get something in him, growgel, water mashed up chick feed, anything, I used plain or vanilla yogurt and added in more ground up chick feed a little each time till i could switch to regular chick feed. You need to offer or help him eat every few hours unless he fills his crop then you can wait till it gets almost empty , at least once at night, good luck

4. Brookeee2013

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    Okay well I have been trying to feed him. I've been giving him electrolytes and probiotics mixed with chick starter in a syringe. He seems to like it for a second. Then he acts like he's choking. I'm confused. He's in bed with me again today. I really don't want him to die. He's a little fighter. But what could I do about his crippled leg when he's older? [​IMG]

5. Ladycatpurrs

Ladycatpurrs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    South Carolina
    I am currently in the very same boat and was on here surfing the vast knowledge base for an answer.

I have a chick that has a similar situation going on. It took longer for it to learn to drink and eat. I put bright marbles in the small measuring cup I was watering it out of to help it see the water and then "clicked" the marbles around to get its attention. That made it try it. It is now drinking and eating on it is own. We have to be under bright light for the little thing to show interest so I think the eyes may be weak. It also has one weak leg and one that is held all the way up to its wing. It "walks", as I call the flinging about that it does, on its hock so it is getting a little sore there. I will cotton and tape that today. Other than that it is a bright little thing, making happy sounds as I hold it and feed it. I am hoping to find out what to do to improve its life and make it healthy. I really don't want to euthanize it if I can give it a good life.

The rest of the chicks that I hatched out are growing fast, already with little wings and starter tails and this one just lost the egg tooth last night.

I hope your chick does well and if you try something that works, please let me know. [​IMG]

6. Brookeee2013

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    He died ):

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I am very sorry for your loss

8. Ladycatpurrs

Ladycatpurrs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    South Carolina
    I am so sorry the little sweetie died. It is always terrible when we try our best and that best isn't what is needed or isn't good enough.

9. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    oh, I am so sorry the sweet little guy didn't make it. It's always sad to lose them. Atleast you helped him best you could in the time you had him.

Tammie

10. Agafan

Agafan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm so sorry your little ward died. I lost 2 of my 16 new chicks lady week too and I was so sad. But my remaining 14 are doing really well so I am hopeful they will all continue to thrive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by