1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with DE needed, please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by richndonna, Jan 24, 2010.

1. richndonna

richndonna New Egg

Aug 14, 2009
    Bay Area
    Somehow I have lost my notes on how to mix my DE in with my chicken feed. It was in the form of so many cups of DE to so many cups of food. I put the food into 5 gallon buckets to feed out of. I have tried searching the forum since that is where I found the information but have not had any success in finding it again.
    Can you also give me the measurements for ACV in water?
    Thanks,
    Donna
    You all are the best! We have been lurking since Aug. when someone dumped our feathered friends on the side of the road. Backyard Chickens has had answers to our questions for our new friends.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    The DE, I have a hanging feeder and whenever I fill it, I sprinkle some in it, so meuch for measuring.....
    The ACV, I use 2 tbsp per gallon

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    1 cup per 50lb bag of food:)

4. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Hey, just curious what adding DE to their feed does for them. I use it in the coop and run but I have yet to feed it to them.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Supposed to kill parasites if they are not a large colony already. Will not kill off a large colony from what I have read on this forum.

6. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Quote:Supposed to kill parasites if they are not a large colony already. Will not kill off a large colony from what I have read on this forum.

Isn't it useless once it's wet? I'm assuming it would moisten once ingested.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC

Isn't it useless once it's wet? I'm assuming it would moisten once ingested.

That's correct.
    The only USEFUL reason to put DE in feed is to kill insects in the feed itself, and to help keep it dry.
    It has no effect on internal parasites

8. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Be absolutely certain you are using food grade DE! There is a huge difference between regular and food grade. You mustn't feed regular DE to anything.

The food grade is said to come from fossilized shells...I don't pretend to know much about it (I really came here to learn more). It seems like getting that wet wouldn't render it useless, being that it's fossilized(?)

Again, I'm still trying to learn more...just wanted to make sure we are all talking about the food-grade DE.

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I don't know how effective it is against internal parasites. I use it but haven't tested it for that. I use it mainly because it seems to promote feather growth and makes the eggs nice and hard. It works better than oyster shells for me.

10. TexasChickenDance

TexasChickenDance Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    Is food -grade de grayish looking? We use regular de which is white in out pool system

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by