Help with DE please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MsBentleyboy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Don't you just hate it when you buy products and they give you some generic feeding instructions? This has only been about the 5th time I've dealt with this. Here's my question. How much DE do I put in a 3 lb. feeder. The only instructions my package gave me was use 2%. The only figure I come up with is .06 lbs... and that's if I did the math right.... What does that come to in cups, TB, or t. ? Ughhh!! [​IMG]

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Figure 1 oz per pound and you cant go wrong.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Personally, I don't measure, I just sprinkle it on. Maybe I should have my hands slapped for that?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, spatcher, that's alot, I think. 2% of 48 ounces is slightly less than one ounce. I'd say one ounce to 3 lb myself. How you know how much DE by measuring spoon is 1 oz. I'm not sure. Have to think on that.

Edited because I cant type.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sprinkle (by hand) a little over the top of the 3lbs of food in the feeder. It will work it's way in. I have no idea what percentage I'm getting but it ends up in the birds and I don't see insects in the feed so I guess I'm succeeding. I also sprinkle a tiny bit into each bag that I open.

6. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    The 1 oz per pound is based on what PermaGuard recommends for chickens. I know the bag says 2% but the PermaGuard website recommends 5% for chickens!

7. speckledhen

You know, I saw the 5% recommendation and was a bit surprised. Usually, they recommend 2% of the total feed. I'd have to try to locate them, but there were studies that found dessicated intestines in dead hens fed large amts of DE. Gee, I wish I had that reference! I think I'd stay on the safe side and just do 2%. I love DE for so many reasons, but I dont see much benefit in putting a larger amt in the feed. JMHO.

8. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Thanks everyone. I just didn't want to overdo it and at the same time didn't want to not put enough to be affective either....

[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Honestly, you'll be great if you can figure out how to put 1 ounce of DE in that 3 lb feeder. I love it for dusting the birds-just fill one knee-hi hose (what do you call one knee-hi, LOL?) with DE, tie it off and use that like a powder puff under the wings and around the tush. Also, sprinkle it in the nestboxes where they sit for long periods as well. I do like my DE since I'd rather not use poisons around the coop. Never had trouble with mites/lice/etc.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  10. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I have always gone with their recommendation. 5# per hundred or since the 50# bag is whats available, 2 1/2 pounds per 50#. No problems yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by