Help with design of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southernblubird, Feb 19, 2014.

1. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Hello all! Just curious which would be preferred. I am converting half of a 10' x 12' shed into a coop. Need the other half of shed for storage, boo :( Below are two draft layouts for the coop. It's very basic and not drawn to scale but hopefully you can get a good idea. Should I do one long roost that goes the length or two shorter/staggered roosts that goes the width (with raised poop boards)? Also food/waterer placement. I am making a PVC feeder and have a 5gallon nipple waterer. Thoughts and opinions? I know you have one ;)
    [​IMG]

2. southernblubird

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I vote for #2, just seems simpler.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like #1...course that may be because it's almost exactly like the coop I designed and has been working pretty well for me...tho mine is 6 x 12 instead of 5 x 10.

I had to put ramps up to the board (approx. 3ft high) and nests because 6 feet wide wasn't enough for them to fly down easily without crashing into the wall.

2 ft wide poop board with roost 8" above works well and isn't too hard to reach under, feed hangs under board.

5. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote for #1 also. That way they won't be fighting over who gets to roost on the top roost.

6. southernblubird

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee

This is really helpful! Thank you for sharing your dimensions. I was wondering about the height/depth that the girls needed to get up/down. They are fine with the ramps? So you think two would be sufficient?

I like the idea of option 1 bc it should be easier to clean instead of the deep board on 2. Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions are very welcome! :)

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you look at my coop page (scroll down about 2/3 of the page) you will see the ramp and platform I installed...not pictured is a second ramp that goes to the nest bar.
    Yes, they use the ramps, not all of them and not always, but I believe they are a necessity.

8. southernblubird

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee

Been busy with the new fluffs :) love your coop and run, very nice. It is very similar to what I am thinking. Btw love the pic of your roo in the nest box -"see ladies". Anything you would change? I'm planning on sand in the coop as well as in the boards.

Spring is coming! Ahh!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wish I could have made it bigger, but overall I think it functions very well...especially the nest boxes.

The sand/PDZ is great for the roost boards, but I'm not sure I would like it instead of shavings on the floor.
    Eventually it will get 'dirty' and have to be changed out...and that would be ALOT of sand to deal with and it can't really be composted.
    Plus I think shavings are better for our frigid winters, they like to snuggle down in it during the really cold days.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

10. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    [​IMG]

I'm so glad you posted this thread, this is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. In my head I had the left side of the shed as the coop, the back right corner a brooder area and the front right be storage. Do you have a single door or a double door? The shed I'm looking at is 10 x 12 and the door will be on the 12' side. It comes standard with double doors but I'm thinking about having it only be a single door. I'm going to add windows to the ends as high up toward the top as they can put them. Your drawings made me look at it in a whole new light!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by