Help with Detached air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CreamBruelle, Mar 12, 2017.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    I ordered 6 silkied serama eggs off eBay and 3 of them ended up having detached air cells. I was going to put the 3 that were fine under my broody hen and the other three in my big GQF incubator till they reattach so I can put them under my broody hen but I forgot that I have call duck eggs incubating with 30% humidity and I don't know if that'd be good for the serama eggs. I've let them rest for 48 hours to see if their air cells would reattach but they didnt. I have another incubator I can put them in but I really don't trust that one and the eggs cost a fortune. Any ideas on what to do?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Does your incubator have a turner? Are the air cells on the other three wobbly or odd shaped at all?

Any that are detached or not perfectly normal should sit air cell up for 24 hours at least. Then they need to be incubated air cell up. I do not turn them for the first 3-5 days depending on how bad they are, then you can commence to turning as usual.

The 30% humidity will be fine but if there is a turner in there you need to figure out how to make that work.

I personally don't give my broody shipped or expensive eggs to hatch. I have her sit on duds and then give her the chicks. Just in case she decides to abandon the eggs or another bird breaks them or whatever, plus its cold out right now. I was in that situation in January with olive egger eggs and at the last minute decided to use the incubator instead and give them to her once hatched. The ones she was sitting on ended up freezing and cracking after two weeks so I'm glad I made that decision. I now have four olive eggers :)

3. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    I have the option of electronically turning the eggs, but I don't. I find it better to hand turn. They all are shaped fine, one of them is quite small though. I have the Silkie hen in her broody coop and she's been my best hatcher and she's been broody for several months and is determined as heck to hatch those eggs and I heard that they're super hard to hatch without a hen so I thought what the heck

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Small is very very good.

So I would figure out a way to keep them upright. I have a feeling they will fall over in a cut out egg carton.

5. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    I put them in plastic trays that are as tall as the eggs so there's no chance of them falling.

6. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    Thank-you for helping me with this :).

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    No problem. Post back if you have any questions or problems!

8. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    I just candled the eggs and 1 out of the three has a stable air cell while the rest are still wobbly. 1 of the wobbly ones is showing growth. Is it ok if the air cell goes on top of the developing embryo when I turn the egg?

9. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Are you laying them on their sides now?
    What I would do is keep them in the tray you had them upright in and just tilt it by putting something under one side then the other so they stay relatively upright.

10. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    Ok. I never took the wobbly ones out of the egg holder so there still upright. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by