Help with Diagnosis

Southern Ground

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 8, 2013
DFW, Texas
I just lost my third Hen to "Disease" and could use some help with Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention.

We lost the first around Thanksgiving, the second was 3 weeks ago, and the latest died last night.

All three hens, the first two were White Laced Red Cornish and the latest was an Easter-Egger were daily layers,all about 1 year +/- . They are fine one day, running around the yard or coop and are then found listless and lethargic the next day-unable to stand, and pass away overnight; There seems to be about a 36 hour window from first signs (To us) of illness to death. I do remove them from the coop and isolate them with food water and a heat lamp when I find them. The one that died last night was perkier when I checked on her around midnight, but this morning she was dead.

They show no outward signs of disease-No discharge from Eyes, Mouth, or Vent, No discoloration of comb.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

SG

It is hard to tell sometimes without knowing more details. Do they free range near places where they could find a decaying animal or fish carcass, or near composting vegetation? Have you wormed them, and with what? Did they have a Mareks vaccine? Any mites or lice on the skin? Coccidiosis can affect older chickens if they are exposed to a new strain from another chicken or if they are on new ground. I recenty had a hen die within a day and a half of noticing her ill--she apparently died of a gizzard impaction from eating sunflower seeds. If you have another loss, I would urge you to get a necropsy done by your state vet or Dept. of Agriculture on a refrigerated, not frozen body. You can also call them and ask questions about diseases in your area. Here is a link to finding that info: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/states/texas.pdf

Last edited:
It is hard to tell sometimes without knowing more details. Do they free range near places where they could find a decaying animal or fish carcass, or near composting vegetation? Have you wormed them, and with what? Did they have a Mareks vaccine? Any mites or lice on the skin? Coccidiosis can affect older chickens if they are exposed to a new strain from another chicken or if they are on new ground. I recenty had a hen die within a day and a half of noticing her ill--she apparently died of a gizzard impaction from eating sunflower seeds. If you have another loss, I would urge you to get a necropsy done by your state vet or Dept. of Agriculture on a refrigerated, not frozen body. You can also call them and ask questions about diseases in your area. Here is a link to finding that info: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/states/texas.pdf

Thanks for the Response. They do free range several times during the week and have access to the compost pile, but there would not be any meat/flesh in there. I have not wormed them, but don't notice any signs of an infestation. We do have mites that we attempt to keep at bay with Wood ash, however I wouldn't say that the chickens who have passed seem to show any signs of Mite issues. I bought them from tractor supply and am not aware of their Marek's status. I have refrigerated this bird and will contact the Ag extension to see if they will do a Necropsy. Thanks again for the response!

SG

Every state has a different charge for necropsies, and some like California are free. Tractor Supply usually does not sell vaccinated birds due to the extra cost. Here is a thread with instructions on shipping a bird for necropsy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures
Excellent information! I have sent a message to the Texas A&M extension office and will just keep the bird Refrigerated until I hear from them on Monday.

All the best!

SG

Back
Top Bottom