Help with different hatch dates in same brooder!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RooJi, Jan 16, 2015.

1. RooJi

RooJi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2014
    California
    This spring I will be getting chicks from an array of different hatch dates and I was wondering If keepig them all in the same brooder would be ok!
    ok are you ready for the list!??!
    on MARCH,16th I will be getting:
    (1) silver seabright bantam
    (1) bantam millie fleur D'uccle
    on MARCH 23rd (1 week later) I will be getting:
    (3) Polish
    on APRIL 6th (2 weeks later. The first chicks will be 3 weeks and the last one will be 2 weeks) I will be getting:
    (1) black copper maran
    (1) blue laced red wyandotte

I would love to hear what you guys have to say! thanks for the help!!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I don't see any problem between the first two batches. But by three weeks of age, the first chicks will be three times larger than the day-olds just arriving. That presents a potential problem. (Chicks double in size each week)

I've added chicks after six weeks from the first batch, and the way I solved the problem and kept them all in the same brooder, was to place two brooders side by side, taped the boxes together, and cut a portal into the common wall. Then I fastened a metal mesh screen over the portal. On the side with the older chicks, I rigged a lamp with a 100 watt incandescent bulb for their heat, while the day-old got the 250 watt lamp on their side.

They all grew up side by side, and by the time they were all the same size, they already knew each other.

3. RooJi

Oct 21, 2014
    California
    oh ok! i'll try that! thanks so much for the help

4. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I have 3 silkies a month apart in the same brooder and haven't had a problem. Now, there is only 3..and...I put them together when 2 were 1 day old and my big one was 4 weeks old. The oldest one is very docile and treated them like a mother.
    I asked on here before I put them in together and everyone said just to watch closely. Some had horrible experiences and some were ok. Mine turned out to be fine. Good luck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RooJi

Oct 21, 2014
    California
    Oh wow! OK thank you!
    Cute chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by