Help with dislocated “knee” on my duck

Pics

Duck-Norris

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2019
hi there! New to the forum, so... I have a duck (Duck Norris) who he and a few of his flock mate were attacked by a fox, he being on of the survivors, was pretty badly injured with bites to his neck, so I cleaned all wounds got antibiotics and he has since healed from those wounds, but his right leg has been dislocated at what I would consider the “knee” all confirmed with x-rays by a vet. I was told by said vet that there isn’t really much that can be done to “fix” said dislocation, that in the past have wrapped and braced but to no avail. So my question is, is there anything that I can do to help in correcting his dislocated “knee” other then the recommended “rest, and little to no movement” or should I just face facts and start focusing on how to have a one legged duck?

Hiya :frow
Nice to meet you!
:welcome

I’m glad you had his leg x-ray’d and took him to the veterinarian. Don’t know if you’ve ever dislocated a joint ... boy I have! Follow the vets recommendation. Keep it wrapped and supported. Sometimes a dislocated joint can pop back out. If that be the case have the vet readjust it and re-wrap it. Sometimes that happens especially with animals that just don’t want to sit and rest. You might want to restrict his movements with a small enclosure. Best wishes. And welcome to BYC

Did the vet put it back in place or was that possible? I don’t know much about ducks, but if there is a dislocation, their may be swollen tendons. Anti-inflammatories such as metacam from a vet, or plain aspirin can be given twice a day to help. If the dislocation gets back in place, then you could splint it with padding and vet wrap for support. Vet wrap can be cut into smaller strips, and in human first aid aisles they also sell cohesive bandage in 1 inch widths. Any duck experts, please tell me if that sounds wrong.

upload_2019-1-9_15-6-7.jpeg

Did the vet put it back in place or was that possible? I don’t know much about ducks, but if there is a dislocation, their may be swollen tendons. Anti-inflammatories such as metacam from a vet, or plain aspirin can be given twice a day to help. If the dislocation gets back in place, then you could splint it with padding and vet wrap for support. Vet wrap can be cut into smaller strips, and in human first aid aisles they also sell cohesive bandage in 1 inch widths. Any duck experts, please tell me if that sounds wrong.

View attachment 1637360
I'm not an expert, but it sounds all right to me. :) As you stated, metacam can be used, but only as prescribed dosage from vet. Plain aspirin can also be given to help with pain: 1(5 grain tablet) can be given every twelve hours. I agree with you that should the dislocation be put back in place, splinting the leg with vet wrap would give added support.

I did have it wrapped for about 2 weeks or so but he always managed to unwrap or pull off every night so I would re-wrap every morning
I have had my ducks pull off their bandages as well when I was treating bumble foot, they can be stinkers sometimes :rolleyes:, but they don't understand you're trying to help them. Did the vet put the dislocation back in place, or say it was at least possible?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom