help with distressed/sick hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Chickita, May 16, 2011.

1. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I have a 1 1/2-year old polish hen. Her name is Clover. Clover is a family pet and the closest chicken-member of our family. I got her from a neighbor whose flock was attacking her because she can't walk. She also can't be placed with my flock because of the same problem. She has severe problems with her ligaments and has seen a vet for this problem. The vet said that it is a genetic problem, possibly caused by inbreeding within the same flock. She can sometimes stand and flops around, usually eventually getting to where she wants to go. She has been living in a small cat bed in my bedroom for a year. She is very sweet and when I have a day off she spends much of it with me in a baby sling. Most nights she sleeps on a towel, under her blanket, next to my pillow. Obviously, she is very loved. Because of all the time I spend with her I notice when something is different with her.

Over the past 3 days, she has been making a lot of noises that lead me to think she may be in distress. She almost never clucks, but even if she did these aren't clucking noises like what my other chickens sound like. They are more like soft and continuous whines. She stops when I pick her up and put her in my bed, but then starts again when I put her back to her bed. I don't think its because she doesn't want to be in her bed, she seems to like it there. Its surrounded on 3 sides with mirrors and she has easy access to water and food, which are provided in feeders positions on 3 sides of her bed near her face when she props herself up. Something is different with her and making any noise is unusual for her.

I've examined her and don't find any soar spots, injuries, or anything else like that. She is eating and drinking normally. Her poop is normal. One reason she makes such a great "house chicken" is that she is so quiet. This is very unusual for her and she's been making these whining noises during much of her waking hours. I would very much appreciate it if anyone had any advice or suggestions.

The only thing I could think of is that she might be egg bound. She has never laid an egg but she's old enough. She can't raise herself up to lay an egg. I tried to feel around to see if I felt anything different but I don't really know what to feel for. Please, if you have any ideas, I would really appreciate your suggestions. She means a lot to me.

Thanks!

Kahni

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Thank you! That threat was very informative. She's due for a bath soon and I'll try that. I can also try a heating pad. Does anyone else have any advice on perhaps how to tell if a chicken that can't walk or barely stand is egg bound?

4. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    She did it! She did it!!! She laid her first egg!! She can't stand or walk but she laid her egg! I was so worried amd now I'm so happy for her. She gets special treat and definitely gets to sleep in bed tonight. First, she's watching NCIS in my bed while eating a side salad. [​IMG]

5. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    OMG that's awesome! I'm glad she finally did it! [​IMG]

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Besides a BIG Congratulations for Clover! [​IMG] I have just got to tell you what a special person you are. It is very obvious that you care for this hen in a way that not many would. She has been given a life that I am guessing she would not have if she had not been brought into your life. And because of that, her life and your life have been and will be changed forever. Take care and God bless! [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mystery solved! Wish they were all that easy!

8. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Thanks so much everyone! I've been so happy for her all week. She is really a special little chicken. All of your congratulations mean a lot too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by