Help with DIY coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by callen0912, Feb 6, 2015.

1. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    So I've done some shopping around, and found a local lumberyard that sells scrap 2x3's for $10 a truckload. So now onto my questions.... Could I use 2x3's instead of 2x4's for "legs" of the coop and framing the run? I haven't had any luck finding pallets or plywood, so I'm thinking if 2x3's will be ok, I can buy plywood new. Second, I have an old door we took off our house than in thinking I'll use for the coop door. Will this work? Also, what's an ideal height for a coop? I'm wanting to do a 4x8 foot print, but I don't want the coop to be 8ft tall. Would a 4ft overall height be ok? Third, what basic tools will I need to build a coop? I know a drill is a must, screw driver & hammer I would guess. What else do I need?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. BKerr

BKerr New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Georgia
    You will need to have a drill with a screw head bit, screws, Circular saw, and a stole gun wouldn't hurt. Drill bits so you don't crack the wood when you put the screws in.

I'd have to see your blueprints, but using 2x3s shouldn't be a problem. The weight of the whole coop shouldn't be to terrible, if it's too heavy you could add a couple more for supports. On the chicken run they'd be no problem.

The old door might work, again I'd have to see the plans, but if it's finished with paint or stain that is good for the chickens it could work.

3. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    It's one of the plans from here, I don't have the link handy on phone, but I do on my computer at home. I'll see if I can find the link real quick.

4. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I couldn't remember exactly which plan it was, so I'll have to wait till I get home for the link.

5. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    And when it comes to the run, I'm planning on making it 80 square feet, as the 4x8 foot print will hold 8 hens, considering I did the math right lol. Would 80 square feet for the run be ok or should I make it bigger?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    The link to the plans

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jonny-anvils-chicken-coop

7. BKerr

BKerr New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Georgia
    I think that 2x3s should be fine on that. It looks like it's overbuilt already, so I don't think you'd lose any real structure as long as it's good wood you're using. I honestly can't tell about the door without being there. I'd say maybe?

The only changes I'd make to the design using the thinner lumber is maybe double up on the corners and sister bracing a couple of the rafters (add another rafter on one side of an existing one, attach it the same way and then screw them together) to account for some winds I get because I'm up on a hill.

Lastly, looking at that plan you'll need to remember to adjust just a couple of your cuts to account for the difference in wood. A standard 2x4 is roughly 1.5"x3.5" and a 2x3 cuts that down to 1.5"x2.5" so a couple of those cuts will need to be adjusted by an inch.

8. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I am up on a hill as well. I'm considering doing a sloping roof instead of one like in the plan.

9. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    What is everyone's thoughts on how much hardware cloth to use around/in the ground? I'm considering not only doing a skirt around the run, but also digging out under the entire area where the coop will be and bury a large piece(s) of hardware cloth. Waste of time/money or good idea?

10. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    The only reason I would bury is for aesthetics. An apron extending 18 to 24 inches and solidly attached is all you really need. Attach it well with good tie wire or screws and fender washers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by