Help with dosing using piperazine

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
I am trying to fight blackhead in my turkeys who run with my chickens. They are 10 weeks old.

Yesterday I figured the dosage for the amount of water I was using to be 2.5mls of powder to 2 litres of water. My question is do I do it again this a.m.? How many times do I give them the mixture? The package wants me to mix the entire 900g with 320L of water. I only have 15 birds. That water will be around waaaay to long.

Also I have 2 yo layers. Should we stay away from the eggs?

Advice please!

Quote:
Sorry, piperazine will not kill the cecal worm that carries the protozoa that is responsible for causing blackhead. To kill the host (cecal worm,) you need to treat your chickens with either of the following; fenbendazole, albendazole, ivermectin or flubendazole.
To kill the protozoa infecting your chickens/ turkey's: Metronidazole, found online as fishzole...250mg pill given to each bird for 5 days. Flagyl can be used as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

So I want fishzole to kill what the turkeys have and I need fenbendazole (that's what I went out and bought) for the chickens that can get the worms from the turkeys?

I bought a paste. Shall I reduce the dosage accordingly based on the weight of my birds vs. horses and give with a dropper in their mouths? 20 birds total or can I mix the paste into their water?

Also do I administer for as many days as the package says (ie, 5)?

How long do we through the eggs out for?

I appoligize for all the questions. Meds make me nervous and I really don't quite understand all this.

I really appreciate your help.

I've found metronidazole at a fish store in the city. Its in powder form. I'll pick it up tmo. Any advice on when, how and how much to give the turkeys?

Quote:
You bought the Safeguard (fenbendazole) equine paste? If so, give each of your chickens a "pea" size dose of the paste. Do not put it in water. It's best to put the "pea" sized amount on a small piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. Be careful though, it's best to seperate your chickens and dose them one by one, they will try to steal the bread from each other...then you'll never know which ones got the wormed. If your turkey's are larger than the chickens, twice the size for example...double the dose of safeguard, 2 pea sizes.
You will have to discard the eggs in the garbage for 14 days. Redose your chickens and turkey's again in 10-14 days. This will ensure the that the larva hatched from eggs will be killed, ending the worms lifecycle. Again, the withdrawal period is 14 days. If you reworm on the 10th day after the initial worming, you are looking at a grand total of 24 days withdrawal.

Fantastic!
big_smile.png

Thank you very much. Yes the safeguard paste. Got it!

Any chance you have advice on the Metronidazole powder? Should I do that regime first, inconjunction with or after the paste for the turkeys?

Quote:
I'm not familiar with metronidazole powder. However, I found a dosage for it, but it is for chickens: Metronidazole soluable powder dosage is 100g with 200liter of water for 5 days. I was hoping you found the pills. Getting sick birds to drink on their own is nearly impossible and there's no guarantee that they would drink enough of it to be effective. Whereas directly dosing a pill orally is ensuring they are properly dosed.

Dose them ALL with the metronidazole first for 5 days to kill the protozoa. Then get the worms with the safeguard, redose again in 10 days. You are going to have to set up a worming program to prevent this from happening again. I recommend you worm your birds once every quarter, that is the only way to stop the host (cecal worm) from introducing the protozoa to your birds. I also recommend that you find another wormer, such as one of the ones I mentioned earlier. You dont want the cecal worms (and other worms) building resistance to the safeguard...in other words, you want to rotate wormers. This is why it is recommended not to mix chickens and turkey's in the same area.

Thank you. I'm actually finding with Blackhead they drink loads. No problem there and they are not acting sick at this point but are getting darker heads. Previously laboured breathing, lethargic, eyes closed, heads hunching into themselves.

I've been using some natural products (given by seringe) that have brought them back to nearly normal but want to irradicate this completely in ALL my birds.

Thanks again.

Sorry to bump up this topic, I didn't want to make a new one about the same subject.

We bought "Piper Dewormer WSP" (Piperazine) and I was wondering from what age it would be safe to give it to our flock (as prevention) (it just says "poultry" on the package, no age) and also if we can repeat putting it in their water for more than one day or one day is enough?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Back
Top Bottom