Help with duck colour genetics?

Blue bibbed pied and black bibbed pied. So, blue and black Magpie, but since they're only going to get one copy of the Runner (pied) gene, the Magpie pattern isn't going to be complete.

They will all be carrying one copy of mallard base, and also carrying one copy of harlequin.

Blue bibbed pied and black bibbed pied. So, blue and black Magpie, but since they're only going to get one copy of the Runner (pied) gene, the Magpie pattern isn't going to be complete.

They will all be carrying one copy of mallard base, and also carrying one copy of harlequin.
Thank you!

This is super interesting! I just hatched out and am figuring out which of them I'm keeping for breeding. I have two very typey ducklings, very small, round heads with small short bills, one silver (we think) and a blue fawn. There is also one that isn't as typey but I love it's color, it's a very diluted blue bib. I'm waiting to vent sex, as I've had success vent sexing 2 week olds, but I'm just not comfortable doing it on a 3 day old. Watch them all turn out to be hens or drake...

This is super interesting! I just hatched out and am figuring out which of them I'm keeping for breeding. I have two very typey ducklings, very small, round heads with small short bills, one silver (we think) and a blue fawn. There is also one that isn't as typey but I love it's color, it's a very diluted blue bib. I'm waiting to vent sex, as I've had success vent sexing 2 week olds, but I'm just not comfortable doing it on a 3 day old. Watch them all turn out to be hens or drake...
I could be wrong, but I thought vent sexing birds older than one day was dangerous?

Would love to see your babies though, I love Calls.

No clue! I vent sexed at 2 weeks on my older calls. So now I'm second guessing myself...

Here's the silver (pastel, butterscotch?) I'm keeping, and the blue fawn, hoping for a pair. They don't like staying still! 5 days old
20210522_000535.jpg

Back
Top Bottom