Help with duck eggs, please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MotherKocher, Oct 8, 2016.

1. MotherKocher

MotherKocher Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    I'm on day 29 hatching 2 duck eggs and I'm not sure if when you incubate them small end down if you should let them hatch that way or if you should set them on their side. I know a lot of people find that they have better hatch rates with chicks when they leave them small end down but does anyone know about ducks? One internally pipped 12 hours ago and hasn't done anything since then and I'm wondering of I should lay it on its side. Please help

2. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    I still have them small end down and they are both tapping continuously but they are doing it in the same place over and over. They are both tapping at the very top of the large end, aren't they supposed to do it around the air sac?? Please, any advise is appreciated

3. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I don't know much about ducks, but it sounds like they're in the right position... You could've laid them on the side at the time you went into lockdown, but since they're now positioned, I think it would be fine to let them hatch in place. - I would not move them!

It's been 12 hrs since they internally pipped? - You might give them just a little longer and then make a small hole ..... I'm not sure, but I think chicks can take a whole day to externally pip, maybe ducks are the same?

Keep us updated!

4. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    I've been reading a whole bunch and it seems that they take longer than chicks to hatch but it's been 24 hours now since they've internally pipped and no progress at all. I've made them little safety holes last night but I'm thinking I need to help them

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with @n8ivetxn - I'd leave them positioned as they are to complete the hatch. I've personally had my best results hand-turning duck eggs throughout incubation, with the eggs on their sides.

The large end of the egg should be where the air sac is located...did you see it somewhere else? Ideally, they're in the air sac now and the tapping is them trying to externally pip. It sounds like ducklings can survive at least 24 hours on the oxygen in the air sac, but if you're not still seeing movement or hearing tapping and it's been 24 hours, you may want to assist. Here's a thread about pipping that you may find helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/404803/what-does-internal-external-piping-look-like; that thread touches on assisting, but a really comprehensive guide is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.

If you decide to assist, go slowly and assist incrementally (i.e., don't go right to peeling them out of their shells) so they have a chance to fully absorb yolks and blood vessels can dry up. I have assisted in external pipping and zipping, but I try to limit my intervention to creating a zip/crack to make the duckling's emergence easier, not do it for the duckling. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Thanks for posting those links, I should read through those myself..... I like your idea of limited intervention....

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool - hope you find them useful. I've read that it's important to the duckling's (or chick's) leg development to let them kick out of the shell themselves. In practice, I do think I have fewer ducklings and chicks with bad legs when they push out, even when I've done most of the zipping for them.

8. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    They are in the proper area of the air cell to breathe but still aren't trying to get out. They are peeping and seem well so I guess they just aren't ready yet

9. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'd be willing to wager that the act of hatching is beneficial in a lot of ways we're unaware of.... such a cool, miraculous thing!

I think you're right....enjoy the cuteness of the peeping! [​IMG]

10. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    They are so so cute, we're on day 3 now. They better hatch! I wanna meet them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by