Help with duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jss46, Mar 21, 2017.

1. jss46

jss46 Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    My brother has hatched duck eggs and I am hatching for the first time and I always thought to put the big end down pointy side up but I just heard different it has been 6 days is it too late to flip them.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You always want the big end up with air cell upwards and the pointy side down. I'd flip them now. Hopefully no damage has yet been done. You might end up with some of them malpositioned.

3. lindsbradway

lindsbradway Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    New Jersey
    could this be a reason some of my fertile eggs died in the middle of the incubation month? because i put mine big side down small side up, and only one duckling hatched [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, and Duck eggs seam to do better hatching on their side than up and down.....Air cell always to the top......:)

Cheers!

5. lindsbradway

Oct 4, 2016
    New Jersey
    Mph okay, I will do this in the future! Thanks!

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I don't have trouble hatching them vertically, but yes, that could definitely be why yours were lost - you never want the small end up, always the big end.

7. lindsbradway

Oct 4, 2016
    New Jersey
    :)The first time I hatched my ducks I did not use an egg turner all of my eggs where vertical and only 1 hatched. This time I am using the turner but I will take it out 3-2 days before they are supposed to hatch. Hopefully this time next month I will have ducklings!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by