Help with duck!! She can't walk on leg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Labbec, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Labbec

Labbec New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    Hi, my female duck took off for the day and returned home that night. I found her the following morning and she can not walk on her leg. She puts very little pressure and uses her wing. The webbing between the toes has been ripped. It seems as though maybe a snapping turtle grabbed her leg while swimming. The joint directly about the foot is very swollen and very warm. I'm not sure if the joint is broken or everything is very sore. I have her in a tiny cage with fresh blanketing, food, and fresh water. She is eating, drinking, and pooping. I soaked the wound with warm water and applied blue coat to stop infection. I am receiving an antibiotic from tractor supply as well. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!! I don't want to put her down.

2. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    She may have just severely sprung her leg. Ducks and geese have weak leg joints compared to chickens. You catch and hold duck by holding them at base of wings. If you hold duck by legs like a chicken you will pull them out of place. If your duck got grabbed by something and she struggled to get loose, then she could have dislocated.

Keep her confined and don't let flies blow wounds. If you have a way to let her swim a few times a day when she heals a few days that would be good. Once had a gosling that one of my goats stepped on it's foot. Struggling to get foot loose the gosling dislocated it's foot. My dad kept it in cage at his house and let it swim in the swimming pool to strengthen it's leg. In about three weeks it was fine.

3. Shorty086913

Shorty086913 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Oh no!! [​IMG][​IMG] poor thing!! Definitely make sure it stays clean and get antibiotics asap. I'm currently dealing with my duck that I believe has bumblefoot. If ur not familiar with that, it is basically like staff infection she might have got from a wound that got infected and turned to bumblefoot. So its very important to make sure ur ducks wound stays clean. Try some neosporin and wrap it with gauze and tape. I'm using guaze and a grocery bag piece to wrap around the foot and leg like a sock. I hope she gets better. I hate aeeing my pets miserable!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  4. Donna R Raybon

Apr 13, 2016
    Vetwrap is something I can not live without to bandage humans or animals.

5. Labbec

Labbec New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    It seems like she has become worse. I tried epsom salts and letting her swim and neither were helpful. Now she won't put any weight on it at all and the joint is triple the size

6. Labbec

Labbec New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    How soon did your dad start letting the duck swim. It has been 4 days and she seems worse :(

7. Donna R Raybon

Apr 13, 2016
    With the gosling there was minimal skin/tissue damage because it was stepped upon. So, no worry of infection from broken skin. Vet had us keep pretty much close confinement until he started to stand up a bit. It was about ten days or so.
    Gosling after first couple swims figured out routine and would actually swim to pool edge when tired and ready to go back inside. Geese are very intelligent.

Sorry ducky isn't improving. That can be due to shock and swelling of damaged tissues. She needs to have a water container deep enough to submerse her head, but nothing she could get stuck upside down and drown.

When i had to close confine due to injury I used wire cage with a piece of wood in it for duck to stand on and get off wire floor. That way I could lift and carry outside and hose off duck and cage. Of course if really cold outside or duck is sick you adjust accordingly. More than one injured bird in depth of winter got hosed off in my bathroom shower:):):)

I miss my waterfowl. Had giant dewlap African, tufted Roman both my favorites! Real migrating Canadian which were awesome as guard geese. If you heard them make a fuss something was really wrong. Muscovy ducks which are more like geese than ducks and are highly intelligent. The runner ducks and khaki Campbell's are amazing egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by