Help with duck who was attacked

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bgossett, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bgossett

bgossett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Ky
    This morning I woke up to find that one of my ducks had been attacked during the night. Her neck is crocked, she is eating and drinking but I'm needing help on what to do. Please any advise would be great.

2. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    That is horrible. Do you see any wounds under her feathers? Is the coop intact? Or are there signs it was broken into? Can you tell us more about the wounds?

Whatever the circumstance, bring her in, isolate her, give her a quiet place to rest and some water.

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I am so sorry to hear that! The only thing I can really tell you is not to freak out on her and no matter how much you want to don't baby her. I have done this and the animal almost always dies. Remember Sympathy Kills. Give her good loving support and make sure she has everything she needs but dont coddle to much. And most of all don't give up. We just had a chicken that couldn't walk and her legs were all messed up and I was sure that she was going to die get up and three months later just start walking again! And if she doesnt make it dont blame yourself. You gave her everything she needed and made her comfortable. If she dies then she will probably die happy!

4. bgossett

Mar 17, 2013
    Ky
    I have them in a 30x15 pen at night, and let them forge during the day. My dog is very protective of all my ducks and chickens, this is the first time it's ever happand. Unfortunately last night they did not cooperate and go in there pen, this is not uncomen for them, for they usually will stay by my dogs house. After I woke up and found her I checked her out, she had two small punctures on both sides of her neck and it is crocked, but she is still forging for food, drinking, and I fed her my chick mesh hoping it would be more easy for her to swollow. After all this I went on to my chores and heard them, so when I went to look there was a very large dog after them im sure it was back to finish the job, so ofcorse I ran it off

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    It really sounds like she'll probably pull through. As active as she is and all. Treat the wounds with antibiotics just to disinfect and make sure they stay clean.

6. ChicagoDucks

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    So, I'd recommend that you bring her in, put her in the tub and rinse her wounds to clear out any debris or contaminants. You can use distilled water, sterile saline or boiled water that's been cooled to around less than 37°C. Then put antibiotic ointment without (without pain killer) on her wounds, something like neosporin. Hopefully her crooked neck is from pain rather than spinal injury. Keep her quiet & clean to heal. You may want to give her some antibiotics to prevent wound infection--ask at your local feed store or vet's office. If she has a spinal injury, the outlook isn't good, but if it's just a flesh wound, she might recover. Let's hope for the best!!

7. bgossett

Mar 17, 2013
    Ky
    Thanks for all of your advice, I've made sure they were put up tonight and cleaned there pen, plased fresh bathing water and bedding

8. bgossett

Mar 17, 2013
    Ky
    The wounds were not deep at all, it already had a scab on both sides, no blood ether. My biggest worry is he neck being crooked

9. ChicagoDucks

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Best of luck with your duck!

10. bgossett

Mar 17, 2013
    Ky
    It's like she can't straighten her neck, would a broken neck do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by