Help with ducking death

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ksloan, Jun 25, 2016.

1. ksloan

ksloan New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    We had six duckings about two months old. We have a kiddie pool pond, but also give them fresh water and food daily. We had one duckling die two days ago. I didn't see it or find it, so I don't know details on that one. Today, I was watching the ducklings and they were swimming in their little pool. One of the ducklings got out of the pool and sat down beside it for a minute. Then she got up stumbled a few steps and laid over. I went to check on her and she was dead. She had blood coming out of her mouth. Any ideas as to what would cause this? If it is a sickness, how do I prevent the others from dieing?

2. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    Infectious Laryngotracheitis possibly!!!

NOT GOOD!! It can be highly contagious to the whole flock. It maybe something else but that sounds like the symptoms.

Hopefully you don't lose anymore. If they continue to die unfortunately that's what it is.

If so wait a week or 2 before you get more birds. Clean and sanitize everything they touched. Food and water dish etc.

3. ksloan

ksloan New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Thank you for your response. Can it affect chickens to? Is there anything I can do for the ducks that are still living (besides just waiting to see if they die)?

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, that is awful! So sorry! :hugs

I have no idea what it is or what to do, but I'll tag a couple who might have some ideas...

Otherwise, sending the duckling in for a necropsy or taking the others to a vet would be best...

@Amiga @Miss Lydia any ideas?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get a vet's help if possible.

I am not home so I cannot reach my Storey's Guide... Anyone else on the forum have one?

If it is viral, vitamins, fresh water, no stress, TLC, prayers is how I would go. Are there black flies out? You may need to keep them in if that is the case - they can carry protozoan diseases.

6. ksloan

ksloan New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    One picture is right after death. The mouth/nose is clear except for blood coming from the mouth. The other picture is several hours later (and after rain). There is tiny cream colored material that is coming from the mouth and nose...looks similar to wood dust, but it is regular shaped with oblong 'grains'...would these be some sort of parasite eggs?

7. ksloan

ksloan New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Other image didn't upload.
    [​IMG]

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Those are fly eggs...

9. ksloan

ksloan New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Thank you. I'm guessing they were laid after death. Just trying to figure everything out.

10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Understand completely...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by