Help with Duckling needed!

Nikii

Hatching
May 9, 2021
I found a duckling yesterday in my flower beds. We believe that it is a Mallard and less than a week old.
I have a general set up for it, we don’t know where it came from but I’m trying to do the best I can for it.
It has been with us for 24hrs and it hasn’t ate of drank water, it seems lethargic and has haven’t breathing.
What can I do to help it?

Im not a duck perfessional but heres what i recommend,

try showing it to eat/drink by dipping its beak in the water and food.
if that doesnt work try making sure it is a balanced tempature.

Mold or other toxic exposure can lead to symptoms of a sick duck such as lethargy, diarrhea, decreased appetite, loss of weight, seizures, dehydration, vomiting, drooping wings, unsteadiness on their feet, or difficulty walking.
Make sure he was not near mold or toxic things. And that he isnt currently, of course.

sorry if this isnt of much help, i dont really know that much, but i hope this does help, if i find more info ill be sure to tell you ASAP :)

Wild waterfowl are legally protected under the migratory bird treaty act of 1918. It is unlawful to possess a wild mallard without a permit.
The first thing you should do is find a wild rehabilitator in your area, and contact them. If you cannot find one, ask your DNR and they should be able to give you a contact.
Until then, keep the duckling in a warm, dim, quiet spot.
You can offer it some warm electrolytes, then try offering mashed scrambled eggs, or a duckling starter feed.

Mold or other toxic exposure can lead to symptoms of a sick duck such as lethargy, diarrhea, decreased appetite, loss of weight, seizures, dehydration, vomiting, drooping wings, unsteadiness on their feet, or difficulty walking.

Good idea to cite your sources.
https://www.cuteness.com/article/tell-have-sick-duck

Wild waterfowl are legally protected under the migratory bird treaty act of 1918. It is unlawful to possess a wild mallard without a permit.
The first thing you should do is find a wild rehabilitator in your area, and contact them. If you cannot find one, ask your DNR and they should be able to give you a contact.
Until then, keep the duckling in a warm, dim, quiet spot.
You can offer it some warm electrolytes, then try offering mashed scrambled eggs, or a duckling starter feed.

Good idea to cite your sources.
https://www.cuteness.com/article/tell-have-sick-duck
Yep, i suggested electrolyte water but ive already sited my sources. :)

Back
Top Bottom