Help with Duck's Eye Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sab, Feb 7, 2012.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    My 1 1/2 yr old pekin duck has eye issues. See photo. It's 1 eye only. Looks like she got scratched in the lower left side of the eye skin. No problem in the eye. No swelling, no foaming, no watery eyes, no sneezing, no coughing, no drip any where and the other eye isn't effected at all. Looks like it's getting infected. She'd been pilfering through the mud yesterday when I took this picture. All activity seems the same. Lays an egg every day.

Any ideas on what to put on it? Thanks so much!!

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Did she get into a squabble with another duck? I get that type of injury this time of year when the hormones are roaring and tempers are running high. I use Neosporin (no -caine ingredients) on and in injured eyes. It works a treat. If you happen to have some terramycin opthalmic ointment around that is even better as it is specifically for eyes, but if not then the Neosporin will do fine.

Good luck.

3. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Thanks so much! What I did was buy some saline solution in the contact lens area at the pharmacy and some neosporin. It's looking better today. Not as red as yesterday. I'm going to treat her again tonight and maybe in the morning before I go out of town for 2days. We only have the 1 duck so if she squabbled with someone it had to be a chicken. Can you buy that Terramycin ointment at Tractor Supply?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am not sure. Most of the terramycin I have used has been sold for humans. You could give them a call and ask. I almost think that it is not available there, but it can't hurt to check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by