Help with ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stephanie1992, Apr 2, 2012.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok this is my first time ever owning a duck

Any tips on food and care?

also how long does it take to get there feathers in??

2. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    I feed my ducklings chick starter. It's gentle on their system and doesn't require any grit.

Keep them warm, particularly during the overnight. How old is your duckling? For their first week start them off at 95 degrees and lower the temperature 5 degrees every week afterwards.

I let mine outside when they were 4 weeks and I've been leaving them outside just fine.

They'll start to get fine feathers at 3 weeks, actual feathers at 6 weeks.

They do require a LOT of water though. I wound up getting a kiddy pool for my ducklings. They'll make a huge mess in the brooder box. There's another thread on the forum that has a FABULOUS method to keep the mess down. I'll be using this idea myself. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

Congratulations on the duckling! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have two 5 day old ducklings. Picked them uo at a pet store i work at. couldnt resist. i have them in a box with pine shavings and a heat lamp like i would keep my chicks in. there being fed chick starter. have a bowl of water they can stand in. have to fill it every morning lol and they have a waterer for them to drink out of. They seem to be doing great. had them for 3 days now. i let them swim in the tub for 15 min everyday. i keep an eye on them. im always worried they will get to cold or drown. Thanks for the info!!!

[​IMG]

4. ducksarefun

ducksarefun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    San Diego, Ca
    Everyone is going ducks now. I have 12 Rouen eggs now hatching anyone interested? 2 for $15

5. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    You can pretty much treat the ducklings the same you would chicks, just with more water. I kept mine in my chick brooder also.

6. ducksarefun

Apr 2, 2012
    San Diego, Ca
    I built my own brooder for like $30. It's awesome!

7. ducksarefun

Apr 2, 2012
    San Diego, Ca
    These guys sure do love water!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by